Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
mbierback
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo replacement

Is there any articles, posts etc that can help me with turbo replacement? Does anyone have any specifics for the turbo replacement?

I just spent $3500.00 on injectors. i wanted to make sure all was good so I had the dealer do a cyl balance test. He also checked my turbo and found the turbo shaft had some lash. The good news is the injectors are all good now. The bad news another $1790.00 for replacement turbo. Oh well I guess I have to keep this truck for a while.

Any direction, trick or tips for turbo replacement would be helpful. The dealer mentioned pull the wheel and splash panel and remove it that way. Any specs I should know before attempting this?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When you invest that kinda coin you might as well keep it

IDK of any threads on how to change one and I know there arent any How To's. However you can check out CTD section and see if anything is in there or if anyone can help being this section is mostly gassers

Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 PM
mbierback

I guess I will just "wing it". And by "winging it", I mean contemplate my next move, stand and stare, then contemplate some more until I get enough confidence. This is usually accomplished by my third beer

I can't call myself myself a backyard mechanic but so far so good. The injector job went all too well. I am somehow viewing this with a pesimistic attitude asking myself why did nothing go drastically wrong as it usually does "only to me"

Oh well glass half full Right!

Thanks for the feedback Weedahoe!
By the way nice truck! I am assuming its yours

Last edited by mbierback; 05-24-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Check with the people on these forums for help,
DTR: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/
Cummins Forum: http://www.cumminsforum.com/
Dodge owners forum dot com

Last edited by DBLR; 05-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you did a direct replacement on injectors and turbo?!

I woulda looked at that as an excuse to get aftermarket performance injectors and an aftermarket turbo...

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

1790 for a stock turbo? Might as well get a slightly larger 62mm for that price...

As for the turbo swap, you'll need some snips or a cutoff wheel to get those damn ridiculous tabs off the back two bolts on the manifold, both top and bottom, a 15mm deep, 13mm for removing the heatshield, a 7/16" wrench for the downpipe, and a pry bar to pry up the oil drain.

I always remove the turbo while it's still mounted on the manifold; tried to just do the turbo itself and it wasn't happening due to bolt access. Loosen the downpipe, take the intercooler boot off the turbo outlet (7/16" as well), then remove the heatshield on the front part of the manifold. Pry up the oil drain where it presses into the block; it's a real pain in the a$$ to try to remove the 8mm bolts on the turbo itself one click at a time...

Now you need to get the tabs off the rear two bolts on top and the rear two bolts on the bottom of the manifold; my latest swap I just cut them off the bolt heads with a cutoff, or you can sit and fight the damn things. Cutting the center part off and leaving the part around the bolt head is another option. Then there is the heater line; it has a 15mm nut that connects it to the rearmost manifold bolt on the bottom; again, I just cut it with a cutoff wheel. Then unbolt the manifold and pull the turbo/manifold assembly out of the truck.

When you get it out, the oil drain is two 8mm bolts, and there are four nuts that mount the turbo to the manifold; I don't recall the size of them off hand. Swap the new turbo on, and reverse the process. Really a pretty simple task.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:45 PM
mbierback

Thanks for all the info. I am still waiting for the turbo to come in. Sound like I will have my next weekend full. Mean while everything else I am driving is breaking down. When it rains it pours.

Many Thanks

Quick Reply: Turbo replacement