Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Is my steering box going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM
skiahh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my steering box going bad?

Hi all. I've replaced my ball joints (Dynatrac ProSteer), tie rod ends/drag link, track bar and the front steering damper shock. Haven't done a stabilizer bar or links or upper or lower arms.

The truck has developed a shudder when turning - primarily to the left. It feels a little like making a turn on dry roads with 4WD engaged; not quite as jerky but very noticeable.

Does this sound like a gear box going bad? Something else? Thanks!

And how much of a job is changing it out?

(Mods: Didn't know if this was more appropriate here or in the 3rd gen Tech forum. Feel free to delete whichever one isn't right.)

Last edited by skiahh; 06-09-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Jake the Snake

Hi, I think your steering problem is bad u-joints on the front end. Left if turning left ect. I had the this problem. Cost is about 125.00 each side.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM
skiahh

Originally Posted by Jake the Snake
Hi, I think your steering problem is bad u-joints on the front end. Left if turning left ect. I had the this problem. Cost is about 125.00 each side.
Thanks, Jake. It was the U-joint. Just one of them and, strangely, it was the right one, even though it was binding hardest when turning left.

Part was $45 (Neapco) and a few hours at the auto hobby shop R&Ring it. Smooth as silk now.

Quick Reply: Is my steering box going bad?