Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

5.9 cummins upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
CoeCasun127
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 cummins upgrades

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and to the world of diesel trucks. I'm wanting to upgrade and get an 05 to early 07 5.9 cummins 2500. My questions are, what tune could get me around 400 hp and 900 tq? And what kind of upgrades would i need to do? Like transmission and exhaust etc. And how much would it cost. Sorry for not knowing alot lol thanks for your input.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on transmission...if its an automatic, you're lookin at replacing the entire transmission with a built billet race trans from DTT, suncoast, or goerend. that kinda upgrade is spendy, but at least you will only have to do it once and not learn the hard way like many have which costs more money...

now if its a manual trans, you just need a good clutch from south bend or valair rated for at least 100hp more than you plan to have.

next you will want gauges: EGT, 0-60 boost, rail pressure, and trans temp (if its an automatic)

after that get a smarty revo programmer, flash a tune and your truck will have the power you're lookin for...

auto trans will cost around $6k, smarty is like 600-800, gauges will be a couple hundred, and you will want an aftermarket lift pump to keep up with the higher fuel demand so an airdog, fass, or raptor pump rated at 100GPH or higher. (all 3 have a lifetime warranty.)

clutch will cost anywhere from $400-1300 depending on how extreme you go. my clutch was $1000 because its a double disc. cost an extra $200 for upgraded hydraulics because mine has a 3600# pressure plate.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
CoeCasun

Wow thanks man! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I would like an automatic but might look for a manual since it would be cheaper

Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

An auto in good shape will take 400hp, depending on how often you use those 400 ponies. If you plan on modding it more than the ~400 mark, go full billet. If not (you need to be REAL honest with yourself here....) a converter and shift kit will do, although a billet input is almost always recommended.

Other than that, you're good to 500hp and a bit more on completely stock stuff; stock turbo, stock exhaust, stock CP3, stock nozzles, stock liftpump; these trucks will make pretty good power on stock stuff. I'm in the 500whp range on stock stuff (minus the built Goerend trans). I do have Hamilton valvetrain (cam/springs/pushrods) but everything else is 100% stock. And she runs GOOD!

I ran Smarty for 6 years, loved it, but am in the process of converting to EFILive; more power, smoother engine, less smoke. The tune is 100% completely tuned for YOUR truck and the way you use it. Good stuff

Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 AM
(texas-ram)325HP
Veteran

Air before fuel is what I have learned. Once you are bittin by the diesel mob bug it will be hard to stop making her better!

Quick Reply: 5.9 cummins upgrades