Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2007 cummins 6.7 vibration when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Dr. Johnson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 cummins 6.7 vibration when stopping

I am new to this forum, the truck is a 2007 2WD 3500 cab and chassis dually. automatic with 35k miles..

the problem: the vibration/shuddering only occurs right before the truck comes to a stop - I would say under 10 mph. I tried holding the truck in first to rule out downshifting shudder and it still happens, I tried it in neutral and I still have the shudder. All the u-joints look/feel good, the carrier bearing seems ok but I can move the driveline around quite a bit(the rubber bushing is soft). the stab links are all good, no busted springs that I can see. its very strange, no vibration when I take off or at speed, just right i the last second or two when I come to a stop. I thought maybe one of the dually wheels had come unseated but I would think the vibration would continue at speed if that was the problem...

Anybody else have this happen or have an idea? thanks in advance

Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM
minex
Veteran

I had this exact problem. I took it into the shop and they ended up replacing the drive shaft. My truck is a 2007 2500 5.9L with 60,000 miles. I was a little surprised the drive shaft went already.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Dr. Johnson

Originally Posted by minex
I had this exact problem. I took it into the shop and they ended up replacing the drive shaft. My truck is a 2007 2500 5.9L with 60,000 miles. I was a little surprised the drive shaft went already.
that seems strange to me as well? did they say what was "wrong" with the driveshaft?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 PM
minex
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnson
that seems strange to me as well? did they say what was "wrong" with the driveshaft?
The U-Joint went bad. You may have a different issue (especially since you mention that you're U-Joints look good), but what you describe is exactly the symptoms I saw when the dealership replaced my driveshaft. They offered two choices.

1) Repair the U-Joint. This would be cheap in parts but expensive in labor.
2) Just replace the entire drive shaft. This would be cheap in labor but expensive in parts.

Both options would have cost me the same, so I opted for a new drive shaft. You can't really lubricate the U-Joint in the stock drive shaft, so I guess they have a tendency to go out? Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in.

BTW, I asked to have the old drive shaft back, lol. I'm going to attempt to fix the U-Joint myself and keep it as a backup.

Last edited by minex; 07-10-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 cummins 6.7 vibration when stopping