Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dodge Ram 2500 shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Mik_07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 2500 shifting problems

I have a 2006 Ram 2500 5.9L automatic with about 91,000 miles on it. This morning when I got on the highway my truck was having problems shifting, the RPMs would be abnormally high before the truck would shift it also would not shift into overdrive, so I thought there might be a problem with the Tow/Overdrive button so I turned the overdrive off and the RPMs jumped and redlined at 3k. I have no idea what could cause this. Also the transmission fluid looked a little dark and was very foamy. Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Sounds like its Time to visit a good trans shop, oh hope you have a bit of money saved a good rebuilt trans is $3800 and up.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM
hillbilli
Veteran

When was the last time your trans was serviced?

Sounds like your TC is not locking. Start out in tow/haul and see if your converter is locking when you hit 3rd and 4th.

I would drop the pan, replace the filter and top it off with some fresh ATF+4. If you havnt upgraded the Pressure Sensor and Transducer, i would do that while you in there to. Hopefully some fresh ATF will help out, if not it might be time for a new Torque Converter.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

When it shifts, does it shift harder?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 AM
autoexpress
Default Rebuild

If you're not getting any codes for transmission electrical issues, such as shift solenoids, it does sound like time for a rebuild. We've seen these go out as early as 70K miles, when worked hard and fluid not serviced. Changing the fluid won't hurt, but will likely do little to help.

A rebuild shouldn't be $3800. We do them for $1900, including rebuilding the valve body, replacing solenoids and rebuilt torqe converter. It shouldn't take many calls to find a good shop who will do it for that price. Just make sure they do the tc, valve body and solenoids. Some shops will simply install a basic rebuild kit and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 2500 shifting problems