Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking to buy a Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy a Cummins?

So I'm in the market for a Ram 2500 with the cummins.

I'm currently looking at a 1997 with 260k on it.
The engine and tranny have been rebuilt on it and the engine was upgraded during this. I'd like your guys opinion on the work thats been done to this truck and hopefully hear some insight on what I might expect from this truck. Meaning if these mods will destroy the fuel mileage or only hamper it slightly while adding power.
Its been 15000 since the trucks rebuild.
The cylinders have been bored .30 over along with the valve springs have been upgraded.
The exhaust has been upgraded to a larger size but I do not know how much larger yet.
The fuel pump has also been replaced recently.
It also has an engine brake feature which I'm unsure of whether it was an option for that truck or if it was an add on.

I do not know much more about the truck yet as I'm still waiting on pictures from the seller. But it sounds like the body is in decent enough condition.

What kind of things should I keep an eye on for trucks from this yearbase? I'm quite new to the Diesel scene so I don't know near as much about them as I know about gas engines.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

I got ahold of the guy selling the truck for more info about it.
The engine brake is aftermarket
It has 60lb valve springs

He also mentioned it was naturally aspirated. Now i am under the impression that means carberated. But that doesnt add up to me.

Does anyone know what he could have meant by that?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert on Cummins, but I've been around them for a long time, usually at arms length as a passenger. I've owned mine for 2 years, and have learned a lot.. I believe the Cummins has always been turbo when sold on the Dodge/Ram platform. If this one is 'naturally asperaited', then something weird's been done to it.. I don't think I could expect mine to haul like it does without a Turbo in there.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 AM
3dubs
Rookie

Naturally asperated does not mean carbed it means where is the turbo? I drove a NA diesel but I would put a turbo on first thing there is a reason they come with turbos. Sounds like he is trying to talk up the truck to talk up the price. I don't care what anybody put into it because they should not expect to get it out unless they don't know what they are doing or looking for a fool. I would go look at it. Point out every flaw and when you get to the engine ask him what he did with the turbo. I don't care what garbage he lays out a diesel works better with a turbo. Then thro out what a new turbo costs (look it up before going) and then you will have to pay someone to put it in. (even if you can do it your time is worth something) Talk about how the engine is alright but with all the mods it will have a shorter life. He will spout some trash then just ask why they rebuild race engines after every race and stock engines are made to last. There really is no reason that engine should have had to be rebuilt unless it was abused or neglected. Mine is going on 400,000 running fine and never rebuilt. Sounds like it was hot rodded and had an expensive turbo on there and toook it off and sold it. It is not a tuck I would touch with a ten foot pole and you can tell him I said it. That was not taken care of.

I look for an old 4x4 with the stock rims. Because that is a truck that has never seen dirt and has not been treated the way I will treat it. When I am done with a truck it is good for parts and that sounds like what this guy is selling. He is putting lipstick on a hog. Why do you bore an engine? Because you blew it. How do you blow an engine? Either not taking care of it and you don't want that truck or pushing too much power hot rodding it and you don't want that truck either. Now when I say you don't want that truck I mean it better be real cheap and I mean real cheap like parts truck cheap because that may be what you are buying. Let him know that you know it was abused and he is selling his trash and if the price does not go way down walk away. There are lots of trucks don't buy someone else's headache.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

It's not naturally aspirated, unless the guys a moron and took the turbo off. In which case, walk

Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 AM
hillbilli
Veteran

Yep, sounds like its been Hot-rodded to me and parted out. I wouldnt bother with this truck if it was my first Diesel, find something that is stock and it will be less bothersome and probably save you some money in the long run.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Thanks for the insight guys I appreciate it!

Shortly after making this post I did decide I wasn't going to attempt to buy this truck. Main reasons are I don't really want a longbox and I would prefer to step into a 24v over the 12v.

Plus you guys are right it'd be better for me to step into a stock truck and them make it how I want it over buying someone elses "Hot rod"

I'll keep looking for my Diesel. Hopefully I'll be sitting in one before the year ends. I have plenty of time to look my Dakota isn't dead yet!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:16 PM
3dubs
Rookie

But you did good by asking. Too many people buy something and then ask. I would have got a 12V if I could have found one 4X4. I may still get one if I don't go get a real big toy. Good luck

Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rofl @ naturally aspirated...

First things first... all dodge cummins diesels are direct fuel injected. As in the injector tip is literally in the cylinder through the head kinda like a spark plug... fuel does not go through the valves, only air/exhaust does. And all dodge cummins were turbo charged. That year should have a hx35 turbo on it and a p7100 injection pump.

I would try to find a 98 12v cummins..better interior and still has the reliable 12v motor..

Btw if that motor was rebuilt and bored, means he is either an idiot, it suffered a runaway scenario, or he tried to push over 800hp to it and melted pistons. Something doesn't add up there... suppose killer dowel pin coulda got him too which goes back to the idiot part.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Cummins?