Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injector upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:15 AM
macs10
|
Angry Injector upgrade

I have a 2003 dodge 3500 quad cab 4x4 with a 5.9 cummins with 88,000 miles and have one or more bad injectors. milage dropped from 16.5 to 12 instantly. I would like to bump to larger injectors like 60 HP. but it seems like a expensive gamble at $2,000 just to see if it smokes too much and will not pass smog test. I live in ****ty California and we have a visual smog test simmular to the snap test. but they also plug into the obdII and check for any tuners or mods. So the big queston is will a stock truck smoke too much with these injectors assuming I cant advance the timing during a smog test. The only modifications I have done is a air filter and an AirDog2 165 which is what caused my injector problem. The filter that came with the new AirDog RXDIesel has sharp holes inside that rubbed on some plastic on the pump which releases debris into your pump and injectors. Aint life sweet.

Old 08-18-2012 | 01:21 PM
Jigabop
Champion

wow they get you guys good...

they have snap tests for us in washington and we get away with bigger injectors by loading the 50% power tune with a smarty. drops the power so much that even 240hp injectors feel close to stock lol.

Old 08-19-2012 | 10:19 AM
macs10
|

Wow your lucky here they plug into the obdII and check for any tuners and for any re-flash of the computer I am just wondering how bad does the stock injectors smoke with all else stock because the higher hp. injectors are cheaper and would be more fun.

Old 08-20-2012 | 11:44 AM
Jigabop
Champion

I wouldn't think 60hp injectors would smoke much more than stock...

I dunno how your truck normally performed on the snap test but here you can pass with up to 40% opacity. back when my truck was stock other than airdog and adrenaline box, it passed with 2% opacity. so I had a LOT of room to play around with injectors...my injectors are a bit dirty though, pop pressures are likely all over the place, need to get them changed or fixed before I have to go through again.

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:28 AM
macs10
|

Yeah I am leaning towards the 60 hp injectors. I am looking at geting a larger turbo with ball bearings if it looks like the stock one I will be good here you cant even change your turbo all must be stock between the gun laws and the damn libs. we are screwed here in cali. I have got to get out of here.

Old 08-22-2012 | 05:40 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by macs10
The filter that came with the new AirDog RXDIesel has sharp holes inside that rubbed on some plastic on the pump which releases debris into your pump and injectors. Aint life sweet.
Who told you that load of crap? AirDogs are on thousands of trucks, many well over 800hp. They don't "release debris" into the fuel system, as they wouldn't be in business for long

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:13 PM
horatio102
Champion

Sharp holes rubbing on plastic? Did someone forget to take the plastic off the filter before installing it?

Old 08-23-2012 | 11:28 AM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Who told you that load of crap? AirDogs are on thousands of trucks, many well over 800hp. They don't "release debris" into the fuel system, as they wouldn't be in business for long
Originally Posted by horatio102
Sharp holes rubbing on plastic? Did someone forget to take the plastic off the filter before installing it?
he's right, and I can confirm this has been said by kyle from pureflow technologies.

the new airdog pumps are junk and they are failing left and right. They are getting parts from new suppliers and its biting them in the *** as quality has gone to hell. there are people complaining all over cumminsforum about it.. the older airdogs (like mine) don't suffer any of those issues, but ever since they changed from JIC fittings to QC fittings, they have been having tons of problems with pump failures, and debris jamming up the pump...

its bad enough kyle posted a sticky in cumminsforum for how to take your GeRotor apart to clear debris out of it...

Old 08-23-2012 | 01:47 PM
macs10
|
Default airdog crap

As you may know the airdogII 165 like most come with filter on it allready to go. I unscrewed it and there is two black plastic wedge shaped pieces that rub on the sharp filter holes inside grinding plastic all over inside the filter. They will not answer an email I assume they dont want evidence I called them and they said a new filter and not there DR RX filter that came with it wont rub on that area. I figured for $750. they would send a new filter but not a chance I am not real happy there customer services is a piece of ****. The pump seems good it is quiet works good but now I have to replace my injectors due to debris they are responsable and they know it is not worth taking them to court.

Quick Reply: Injector upgrade