Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

03 diesel 3500

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
painter2448
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 diesel 3500

Hello to everyone ,Im new to this site but i have a problem,can any body help. iI just bought a 03 dodge 3500 diesel wreck damage on front end,sheetmetal parts have been taken off.We put 2 new batteries in truck will spin over. I checked fuel gauge empty,so i put fuel in only to find it was almost full. I dont hear fuel pump in tank,amp gauge not working while cranking.Also all fuses seem to be good.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
There is a update to replace the lift pump to a new fuel pump in the tank. What you need to do is scan the PCM/ECU for codes and post them. I will move your post to the diesel section.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see if the truck has the lift pump on the engine block. would be drivers side towards the rear. if its not there, its in the tank.

I would also check the canister in the tank. could have possibly come unplugged or got a wire pinched somewhere.

if the lift pump/fuel module is dead, I would switch to a fass150 lift pump and vulcan liberty fuel module. that will give you an aftermarket lift pump that can hold up to 800hp worth of mods, plus spin on water separator and spin on 2 micron fuel filter. bypasses your entire fuel system and the liberty module will get your fuel gauge working again as well as give you the required 1/2" draw straw and fuel return in the tank which will eliminate 1/4 tank issues that fass and airdog pumps are known for...

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM
painter2448

mechanic says scanner will not communicate therfore unable to pull any codes.He has pin probed till he is sore.fuel pump has been up dated.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Jigabop
Champion

you can pull codes from the ignition...cycle the key on-off-on-off-on and leave it on without trying to start it. codes will display on the odometer screen.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:21 PM
painter2448

jigabop,we tried that but it still no communication with pcm.Im just about to drop it in the ocean. No but serious my me mechanic thinks it is in the intergated control module,or fuse box.Parts replacing can really get $$$$$$$$$$.if its possible can you email me a phone # without getting anybody in trouble with the forum,if not will peck back n forth jim

Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Jigabop
Champion

well that is probably most of your problems...your fuel injection is 100% computer controlled. no computer working properly, no injection, no run.

I know enough to break things on a common rail, but thats about it. My truck is a VP44 24V and thats where most of my experience is at...

your best bet would be to go on cumminsforum.com and talk to the guys in the 3rd gen section about the issues. that site gets 100x more traffic than this one does, so you are bound to get a quick answer and far more helpful people than me lol. Hell you might even search that forum and find a thread on the same problem!

Quick Reply: 03 diesel 3500