Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Jacob's Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:19 AM
kingdog
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jacob's Exhaust Brake

Josh
I have the PAC BRAKE ( exhaust ) on my 02 4X4 6-speed, I only use my Dodge for towing and even then not that heavy maybe 8000lbs average. I find that my Pac works just as promised, the higher the engine rpm the more braking power, I drive/tow alot through Ontario so no real big hills and mountins , well non here at all. I use mine when slowing, or to maintain speed limits when going down hill, I do feel and notice a huge differance when using it. There is a down side to it though ( IMO ) I am not using the service brakes enough and as a result have had some service brake isuues, IE all new brakes all around including rottors and rear calipers, shop said from lack of use, so I now try and only the PAC when on bigger hills and never when I am not towing as I can amost come to a complete stop with it while down shifting to lights ect ...
If I lived where you do and had the size of a trailer I pulled, no question I would have the brake .

Ralph

Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well ralph, with the way you re-engineered the butterfly valve I would say that you are running a risk of causeing damage since the back pressure can be VERY high in your case.

granted you are getting better performance out of the brake, but you are also risking your engine by doing so since the exhaust has to be pushed through such a smal hole. I would go back to the origional design on the valve. the hole is designed in such a way that it will not let what you are talking about happen.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:28 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've got the PAC-Brake on my 01 CTD and would not get rid of it for anything. I tow a 32ft horse trailer and don't know what life would be like with out it.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Ralph78
Professional

Drew,

I have checked with an ATS Tech. Rep. (He gave me a lot of good data "Off the Record", because he is told to follow the standard recommendation from PacBrake). I also checked with several local Diesel experts that are fam. with PacBrake and have quite a lot of exp. with the older model I have. I have the very early model PacBrake, it has a very small cylinder. Apparently the cylinder size was increased substantially because the small cyclinder on the old PacBrake would not build much back pressure. I had a test run today with a device attached that would give the pressure the PacBrake generates. backing off from 2600 RPM in various gears, the maximum back pressure generated was 21 PSI. By blocking the EGR valve with a thin metal plate, (designed for the job), the maximum pressure was 25 PSI. and the slowing effect was improved, BUT now my check engine light stays on, the code is "EGR Failure".

I drove a 97 3500 12 Valve with the late style PacBrake and there was a considerble improvement over my PacBrake. (He does not have heavy exhaust valve springs, and tows over the GrapeVine to the Port of Los Angeles, from Bakersfield 3 times a week with a 9,000 trailer for the past two years, about 80,000 miles on his truck after putting the PacBrake on when he upgraded his transmission and TQ. His total milage is 370,000 Orig. Engine, 4th trans TQ, so he upgraded to heavy duty units, not ATS, 80,000 miles back, but I forgot the brand name, the TQ was someones "Triple Disk". So at this point I don't plan to upgrade the exhaust valve springs. When and If I replace my old style PacBrake with a new one to get a better slowing effect, I will consider replacing the exhaust valve springs.

I am still open to any info on my PacBrake/Valve Spring Question, so if anyone else out there has experience with the older style PacBrake on a 12 Valve Second Gen. CTD truck, please let me know what your experiences were. I will go for the heavy springs if really required.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Ralph

Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 PM
rph44
Angry Dodge Jacob Brake

Originally Posted by Josh
I was curious if anyone had an engine brake from Jacob's on their diesels and how they like them and if they are worth the price. I got $1,600.00 installed the last time I called the dealer.
Josh

I have a Dodge Jacobs Exhaust brake that was installed before I picked it up. I am stranded in Colorado with a broken defective bracket which cracked. To get a new bracket I have to purchase the compete kit for $1600.00. I would suggest the B & D exhaust brake their vacuum pump is not installed on the serpentine belt like the Dodge it has a electric vacuum pump. Good Luck.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Grr287
Captain

i want an exhaust brake like what is on my brother's 06 powerstroke. they help save the brakes...and i like hearing the exhaust/engine cut in and out.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:04 PM
purplhrt91
Professional

I got an 09 3500 Laramie that came with a Engine Brake installed.
I pull a 38 foot 5th wheel Montana, and I really love having it. It helps slow me down going down steep hills, let alone the fact that it will save on brake wear.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

[QUOTE=Josh;277663] Sorry, can't find delete button.

Last edited by gtxpooch; 07-29-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

Originally Posted by Josh
I live in Colorado and have a 32 ft fifth wheel travel trailer that I tow to go camping and looking to add a small trailer behind that. I have a lot of experience with them on the big trucks ie semi's and they work well, I know that they stopped putting them in for a while but never heard why. When I bought my 04.5 last year in sept. they weren't putting them on at that time do to a problem but I never heard for what.
Mine will hold my truck/trailer(10K) at 60 mph coming down Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass no problem. It does help with the brakes too.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 PM
dscldr110@gmail.com

I drove OTR with Jake engine brakes on Cummins and ordered my 1999 Dodge with a Jake knowing it was an exhaust brake. After 230,000 I have come to rely on it. Today it went out. Now I must go down two or more gears and ride the brake. I cannot wait to get it back on line. Today we are a B train at about 18,000 lbs. and drive mountains very often.

Quick Reply: Jacob's Exhaust Brake