Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Changed out stock air filter...Now problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM
DGoins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changed out stock air filter...Now problems

I have always been a Ford F250 man untill my son bought his 2012 Ram 1500. I went with him to pick it up and while I was waiting I started looking at the 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7. Fell in love with it and took it home. I love the truck and have had it now for two months. Now to get to my problem.... When I first got it it was so quite that you could just hear it running. The other day I changed the stock air filter to a K & N and now it makes more noise than my old F250 6.4. I put the stock filter back in but it still makes a loud noise. I've taken it back to the dealership and they tell me they don't hear anything wrong with it.

It sounds like metal banging aroung

Anyone have a quess as to what happened?????

Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

How much play is in the turbo shaft? DO NOT PUT A K&N FILTER ON A DIESEL. They are known to allow too much dust through and that "dusts" the turbo. Is it making noise all the time or just at idle when warming up?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with a K & N filter is they are an oiled filter and use oil to help stop dirt from coming through...well with a turbo diesel the turbo is capable of sucking on the air filter hard enough to suck the oil right out of the filter and where does that oil go? all over the damn turbo turning the impeller and housing black and gooey. then once the oil is gone off the filter, the dirt comes in.

bad idea to run a K & N...you can run a similar style filter, just run a dry filter, not an oiled one.

I have an AFE filter on mine for the twins.

Also be sure you drive that truck like you stole it until you delete the EGR and DPF or your intake and exhaust will get clogged up. that new emissions crap causes nothing but problems and bad fuel economy on these trucks.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DGoins
I have always been a Ford F250 man untill my son bought his 2012 Ram 1500. I went with him to pick it up and while I was waiting I started looking at the 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7. Fell in love with it and took it home. I love the truck and have had it now for two months. Now to get to my problem.... When I first got it it was so quite that you could just hear it running. The other day I changed the stock air filter to a K & N and now it makes more noise than my old F250 6.4. I put the stock filter back in but it still makes a loud noise. I've taken it back to the dealership and they tell me they don't hear anything wrong with it.

It sounds like metal banging aroung

Anyone have a quess as to what happened?????

Dgoins,

Congrats on the new 2500 and welcome to the family.
We only recommend OE or Mopar parts in our vehicles as they have been engineered and tested for our applications.
That being said, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, make sure you get your Ram into another local dealer, for a second opinion, to look in to the noise before any damage is done.

Let us know how you make out or send me a PM if you need any help.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
DGoins

Thanks for all the replys. I took the K&N out and put the stock filter back in. Also I was told to spray CRC on the mass air sensor amd guess what, the noise has almost stop. It still has some noise but I was told to do this several times and see if it stops all together. I'm in the second day and it is almost back to what it was when I brought it.

Again thanks

Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The oil on the filter will clog up the sensor. Take the k&n back and go with a dry type. Im running a afe filter with a outerwear cover on it to help with the finer dust. My turbo looks like new and im not afraid to run down any dusty roads.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
DGoins

Thanks for all the reply. I took the K&N out and put the stock filter back in. Also I was told to spray CRC on the mass air sensor and guess what, the noise has almost stop. It still has some noise but I was told to do this several times and see if it stops all together. I'm in the second day and it is almost back to what it was when I brought it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Changed out stock air filter...Now problems