Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2001 Cummins Knocking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
3dubs
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cummins Knocking!!!

All my fault I had an oil leak and ran low. Now I have a knock. It sounds high and in the very front of the engine.

1. Does anybody have a clue what it might be?

2. Can the oil pan clear the cross member to be removed with the enine in the truck?

I figure start with the valve cover and the oil pan to see if I can find something. I have never opened uo a Cummins so I am about to start really learning. At least there is only one head

Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To take the oil pan off you have to loosen the motor mounts,take off the ic boots, exhaust down pipe and jack/lift up the front of the engine. Just go slow and watch everything.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need to drop the pan and install an overhaul!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 PM
3dubs
Rookie

I figure I can rebuild that engine right in the truck if I have to. I rebuilt my first deisel under a picnic tent. But the truck is too tall to get in my garage and the hoa gets all upset if they think anything is not running. When I am out working on something I always see that white rice burning car stop and watch. If any big parts are laying around I get a letter. So when I take something off it goes in the garage As long as the block does not need machining I am good to go. If it does the block is lighter.

I will start at the top and if I don't find anything then drop the pan. If I get a letter I will tell them that I just making some minor modifications

Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 AM
EFS463
Professional

got a video of the knock? I'd like to hear it

Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 PM
3dubs
Rookie

I will make a video. It sounds like a collapsed lifter. But it sounds like it is the very front of the engine. But you know how sounds can echo around. The oil pressure did not drop but the level did go very low. I should be able to get a video in the morning before I start taking apart the top of the engine.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
3dubs
Rookie

Here is the stupid knock. I tried to move ar ound to find the sound but for some reason all sounds stops about half way through. Injector? Valve? It was running fine just that loud knock.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your video don't work :P

unsupported format. blah. got dozens of codecs and you find some new mp4 codec that nobody has to render it in lol

Old 11-10-2012, 12:23 AM
3dubs
Rookie

I can't get it to work. I used my phone and then uploaded it to photobucket. I am figuring it has to be in the head. I guess I will just pull the cover off and if I don't find anything pull the injectors and have them tested. Any idea how much someone would charge to test injectors? I was told that a stuck injector could give a loud knock. It is loud enough to be a valve or a spun bearing. Would an injector be that loud? I hope to have time tomorrow to get it opened up.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM
3dubs
Rookie

I got a little dirty today. I took the valve cover off and everything looked good. Started it and the sound seemed like it was lower than the head. I was going to take the front of the engine apart but it looks like the oil pan has to come off. It seems to be on the exhaust side of the engine. But the farthest back it can be is the #1 cylinder.

So the plan for now is to drop the pan and take the front off the engine. It is definatly metal hitting metal sound so my wallet is already hurting.

Quick Reply: 2001 Cummins Knocking!!!