Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 PM
gunzdoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stock muffler

LOL Drew,

05's Have 4" stock exhaust with muffler right?

Calling around right now trying to find a piece of exhaust pipe. There trying to tell me its 3 1/2 " So I had better go get the measuring tape.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI all 600's and up have 4" from the turbo to the tail.

also, the stock 4" exhaust minus the muffler is good for upwards of 550-600 HP before the exhaust becomes the restriction.

yanking the muffler off and installing a freeier flowing muffler is good for reduceing EGT's by atleast 100F

Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 PM
gunzdoc

Thanks,

Midas is dumb!

Old 09-22-2005, 07:27 PM
bigmike
Professional

hey Drew/Doc,
i intentionally left the silencer ring on mine when i had the intake apart because i was told it might cause a slight loss in power. have you guys noticed anything like this? i may have been given some uninformed info.
drew,
if you go with stacks, i will to!! just say when

Old 09-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Drew
Professional

pulling out the silencer ring will not increase or decrease performance. infact it was something installed by DC to lower the sweet sound of the turbo to make the trruck that much more quiet. the intake baffleing is also there to reduce noise. Both of which have long sence been removed on my truck

if you have ever experienced "turbo bark"; which is caused when the intake manifold pressure is higher than what the compressor fan can support, one way to reduce this is to remove the silencer ring. this was something a guy that works for a Cummins store near me told me.

all the silencer ring does is smooth out the transition from the intake to the compressor fan.

edit: it might be hard to convincec my better half on the stacks. I've mentoned it to her and she doesnt like the thought of it[&:]

Old 09-24-2005, 02:56 AM
gunzdoc

I just removed my silencer ring, and the baffels inside the intake tube like last weekend. At first I did not notice any difference. However when I hit the interstate on Monday morning for my daily 0530 trek to the base, I notice with the windows rolled up, and at around 1100 rpm I can hear the turbo. Next I took it up to around 2500 RPM and yes I can hear it wailing under the hood, again with the windows up. Sorry it was like 65 degrees out that morning so I stayed warm. That afternoon I headed for home with the windows down, hard to hear sitting inside the truck, not as loud as I would have expected, but it does sound cool when you are up against a barrier, or blowing the doors of that Ford or Chevy in the right lane. You can hear it for yourself better when the windows are up, don't know what is sounds like from the outside cause it has not passed me yet,,,LOL. Finally there is no increase, or loss of power after having done all this. So yank out that silencer, and get rid of thoughs baffels, its still quiet with the muffler on, and a little turbo whine always sounds cool. Next stop for me is a TT and a different intake. I hear that really increases the turbo whine, so much your supposed to be able to hear it at idle, Drew your input on this would be appreciated.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Drew
Professional

you want more turbo sound, then strap this bad boy on

NAPA's AF 2790 BHAF(Big Honkin Air Filter)

but instead of having all that intake tubeing, pull everything out except the last 90 degree elbow and move the AIT sensor and walla, you now have 747 under the hood

Old 09-25-2005, 09:46 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

ORIGINAL: Drew

you want more turbo sound, then strap this bad boy on

NAPA's AF 2790 BHAF(Big Honkin Air Filter)

but instead of having all that intake tubeing, pull everything out except the last 90 degree elbow and move the AIT sensor and walla, you now have 747 under the hood
lol now thats cool

Old 09-26-2005, 03:15 AM
gunzdoc

Where'd you move the AIT sensor too? And do you also have a TT installed? And whats the price on the BHAF?

Old 09-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Drew
Professional

I havent done this yet, but I am planning on as soon as the air filter I'm running needs changing. as far as price I'm unsure.

I dont have a turbo timer, I have a Boost/EGT gage, I just watch my EGT's and when it falls under 300F I shut it down. doesnt take long for it to hit that.

when I do put this thing on I'll be sure to post what I did and where I put the AIT.

Quick Reply: stock muffler