Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-12-2015, 12:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Truck shopping: 2nd or 3rd gen Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok a bit exaggerated but I know a few people with more than 300k on them. One guy I personally know has 560k on his 00. There was a thread somewhere that I read had a ton of posts what everyone had on theirs.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horatio102

I'm not sure about the 5.9 CR, but the 6.7 does burn crank gasses - it gets sucked through a big filter on the valve cover and then goes into the air intake before the turbo.

But that isn't going to cause a huge problem - maybe get a little oily residue on the compressor wheel and inside the intercooler.
hummm, maby the newest 6.7's might bun the gasses, but a friends 07 6.7 does not, i put an intake on it a while back, but none of the 5.9's do and like you said, it really isnt going to hurt anything anyway, and can always be rerouted anywhere you like if it was believed to be a problem

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EGR does cause problems...you get SOOT caked up in your intake and the only way to get it out is to boil and scrape it out...

My jetta had an EGR and all it was good for was clogging up my intake manifold with soot and costing $1500 to have it boiled out so I could get my 10mpg back that I lost form a clogged intake manifold.

EGRs should have NEVER been put on diesels due to soot. soot does not just go away on cold parts (intake side)...it builds up on things. and will only go away if you run it hot. (you can clear your turbine on your turbo by holding your EGTs at 1200* for several miles on a grade should burn it off)

Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
hummm, maby the newest 6.7's might bun the gasses, but a friends 07 6.7 does not, i put an intake on it a while back, but none of the 5.9's do and like you said, it really isnt going to hurt anything anyway, and can always be rerouted anywhere you like if it was believed to be a problem
My 08 certainly had a rubber hose going from the valve cover (Closed Crankcase Ventilation) into the intake. I delete it, but it was there from the factory.

Quick Reply: Truck shopping: 2nd or 3rd gen Cummins?