Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

xdp fuel sump

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
dodge626
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xdp fuel sump

hey guys been a while since i wrote something on here but i have been thinking about for a long time is to get a good lift pump and i like the fass and i have read about the 1/4 tank problems and was xdp website and saw their fuel sump pump. now my question to you guys is, is there anyone on here that is running that and how is it working? good or bad? thanks guys

Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not, but been thinking about it, cuz anything under 1/4 tank, full throttle is almost pointless, starts sucking air, however im not liking the idea of cutting my tank or the price of it, i had the thought of taping, cleaning well, and threading in a ABS elbow with ABS cement.... if its a massive failure, i could always go with the sump kit, if it works, its simple and best of all, cheap! but make sure you install a valve just after the sump

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
dodge626
Professional

well if i were to do it i would b taking it to my dads cousin he is a good diesel mechanic. i want to put the fass in and read all the horror stuff about 1/4 tank. i am going to go to him to talk to him first to see what he thinks but if i do end up getting the set up i plan on buying the parts then going to him with the truck and parts and b like here put them in for me. saw the video on the xdp site and they took the tank out that would probably be the smartest way to do it but i dont want to attempt to do that myself.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats 1/4 tank issues?!

you can do a sump...it'll get you down to 1/8th tank before it starts having pressure bouncing with fuel slosh..

or there is two more options that are better yet but cost depends on your truck.

cheaper: vulcan DS-V (requires you to have a canister that had the in-tank lift pump)

more expensive: modified liberty fuel module (has DS-V pre-installed)

the other key to the above two: move your airdog/fass fuel return to the canister. vulcan sells a 1/2" push lock to factory QC fitting so you can hook your return line to the factory pickup tube connection.

here's mine:

I run the modified liberty module.

here's my writeup and tips on it:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ck-review.html

I can run till the needle is buried in the red and still not suck air or have fuel pressure move, even when intentionally trying to slosh fuel...

my last fill up was 34 gallons...

absolutely no holes in my tank

Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
dodge626
Professional

people who have the lift pumps are having problems with sucking air at or around 1/4 of a tank and xdp and i think i saw another place that does it cant remember who tho and it is to fix the 1/4 tank issues and the idea is good i think i just want to know if anyone is running it?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge626
people who have the lift pumps are having problems with sucking air at or around 1/4 of a tank and xdp and i think i saw another place that does it cant remember who tho and it is to fix the 1/4 tank issues and the idea is good i think i just want to know if anyone is running it?
guess you didn't see the sarcasm in the first line of my post and didn't follow the writeup link i gave...

I had 1/2 tank issues with my airdog150 originally. I put my DS-II in the canister cause I didn't want a hole in the tank, and at 1/2 tank it sucked air.

liberty module w/ DS-V 100% solved the issue.

seen plenty that have done a sump and it cured 1/4 tank issue, but at 1/8th tank they get fuel slosh and suck air still...especially on hills. don't have that problem with your fuel return in the canister, and DS-V in the canister.

canister is spring loaded so it always draws fuel from the bottom of the tank even if the tank expands or contracts from temp/pressure change.

and DS-V is a flexible draw straw so it can move with the canister. having fuel return to the canister as well as being able to pull from the bottom means the bowl at the bottom of the canister acts as a fuel reserve that prevents fuel slosh from effecting fuel pressure as it can pull from that bowl during fuel slosh. and fuel returning to that spot means the only fuel that leaves that spot is the fuel that the engine burns. so it takes a while to empty it. gives it long enough to pull fuel back in when fuel runs back under the canister.

Quick Reply: xdp fuel sump