Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo running constantly

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Dog Folks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo running constantly

Iwas lifelong Chevy man until I purchased my 2005Dodge one ton with a turboCummins. It is without a doubt, the best vehicle I have ever owned in my entirelife. It is used to tow my travel trailer aswe explore this great country.

Now myproblem: The truck seems to be running the turbo constantly, even with no-load.When parking in “Park” the motor also goes into high idle mode. When in “drive “the idle returns to normal. When going down the road the engine is runningabout 500 RPM higher than normal also. These abnormalities all started at the same time.

Thereare no codes shown when running a self-check.

I amcompletely clueless as I have owned a NAPA store in my “other” life. I am nowretired and disabled so I will be forced to use a repair shop. I would likeyour input as to the possible problems to avoid getting ripped off.

What do youthink the problem may be? Your advice is appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I know you've been all over already..haha
Put you in the correct place this time.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located? Is it really cold out?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Dog Folks

We are in North Florida. Mostly around 50 at night with a few nights down to 30. I would not say we are in "cold" country.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

your 500 rpm issue sounds like your TC is not locking. the turbo is always working, whether it is in boost or not depends on the engine load. This site http://www.mopar1973man.com/ has a DIY writeup where the high idle is manually enabled... IIRC it is done with the IAT sensor. This suggests to me that it is possible your IAT sensor is bad or failing. Get a scan tool on it and see what it is doing.

I recommend one of these http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html and the android app Torque, they allow you to see what is going on with multiple sensors at the same time & your able to log whatever sensors you want.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Dog Folks

Sometimes the simplest things are the cause. I decided to look at the "basics" before bringing it to a repair shop.

I started with all the fluids. Guess what, long story short, a water pump just seeping water and the lower water level in the cooling system, was letting the engine get hot, not to the red line hot, on idiot gages but hotter than normal.

Topped radiator off with 2 gallons of fresh anti- freeze, and the engine is now running normally!!

I am not blaming anyone but my wife does 99% of the driving and she noted that the gage was higher, but not in the red. Lesson learned. Drive the truck more, check the fluids more often.

NOW just have to find an honest shop to replace the water pump.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

genosgarage.com will have the pump pretty reasonably priced. While your at it, may as well do the belt too if it hasnt been done (should be done every 100k)

Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Dog Folks

Thanks, but as a former NAPA owner, I still have loyality there, and as we travel the country, the nationwide warranty is helpful. I can get a brand new, not rebuilt, pump there. Belt willl be replaced also, as the truck is approaching 90,000 miles. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 PM
horatio102
Champion

The water pump on your truck is about the easiest one you could ever replace.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Jigabop
Champion

yes, if its anything like my second gen, the waterpump is extremely easy.

literally just pull the serp belt off, pump is at top center of the front of the motor and very easy to get to, absolutely nothing in the way of it.

pull 2 bolts, use a rubber mallet and give it a light whack and it falls right off.

it uses an o-ring for a gasket, so no messy paper gasket to mess with/ scrape off.

put new one in place with weep hole facing down, put the two bolts in and tighten it up. Replace the serp belt, and done.

super easy if you have some hand tools...

I did mine in under an hour...longest part was draining the coolant. and not because of difficulty...just waiting for it to drain so when I pulled the pump I wouldn't take a bath in coolant.

You couldn't ask for an easier water pump to do.

Quick Reply: Turbo running constantly