Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Getting a Cummins: Require help with persuasion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Getting a Cummins: Require help with persuasion

Yes I know its long, probably longest thing I've ever written on these forums, but bear along with me.

To start with I'm 18 years old gonna be graduating here in June and found a sweet STRAIGHT TRADE. Title is in his name, but i pay for everything which is the major problem in all of this. Probably a once in a lifetime offer too! My father is totally against it... Here's his main reasons and my responses:
Truck i have now is fine, no its not I get 9mpg and have no power?
Truck is too big, look at mine now?
No where to park it, um same spot its just 2 feet longer and 2 feet wider? Thinks its to good to be true, friend checked it out and its fine?
I don't need it, well why have my 1500 then?
Fuel costs, equal out to be same if not better econ anyway?

Here's the funny part though, he says I can do whatever when I'm out of the house, so wheres the logic in that. Say i do go that route I'd be in more debt because of the simple fact of forking $12,000 toward a diesel plus to mod it...

Here's the deal saw a ad on craigslist and the fellow has a 3500 dually with a cummins! This is a 1998 3500 SLT Larm Edition Extended Cab Longbed (181k miles). I message him for giggles asking about a straight trade, he's like maybe I'll do it. We met up and checked out each others rigs. Checked it out with my diesel mechanic, whom is also my buddy and it was great for being 15 years old. The only thing it needs is oil pan gasket. some new fenders in the front and TLC!
-has new lift pump and Injection pump
-new tranny 10k old
-new brakes
I figure those first two are some pretty expensive items and shouldn't be dying again anytime soon, well under stock power anyways.

In a couple words its been my dream truck for the last couple years to own a diesel, especially after driving it and hearing the turbo whistle and the power compared to my 360. Yes it sits lower then mine, but has a hell of a lot more power. I also plan on keeping it too because the fact its always what i wanted! I have gone from a dakota, to a 1500 ram, and finally to a 3500, hopefully.

I just need help on more reasons of why my father should let me do this straight trade. It just frustrates me so much that I'm 18 and have no say over this...

Here's some pics
Name:  IMG_3304_zps9668e197.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  732.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3303_zps1d05812d.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  704.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3315_zpsc8140c52.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  722.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3314_zpsa4a32b0c.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  718.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3313_zps6a758bfd.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  716.5 KB

Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

I dunno, that's a pretty nice 1500 you have there.

You probably don't have any reason for a dually, right? There's a knock against it there. Second, never look at vehicles at night, it could look great at night and the next day in the sun, all sorts of issues.

Work the fuel mileage angle, the diesel will get far better mileage in every scenario. 12v or 24v?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Brian_
Captain

Yes its a very nice rig but has its own share of issues only thing I have right now with my current truck is looks and thats what he's like, "I like yours better then that one". Well sure its a little better looking, but poor mpg is no thing to be proud of.

Yeah no need for a dually, just the cool aspect. So I then pulled the well why even have a truck then card and his quick response was, "Well I'm fine with you getting a car..." I figure the truck shouldn't be too hard to convert to a srw truck if thats the biggest issue.

Only had a chance to look at it in the evening because of my work and school schedule.

24v which means its probably the year these blocks were prone to cracking "53 block", but still. Buddy has one pushing over 700 whp

Last edited by Brian_; 03-01-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check for a 53 block and a crack...there has got to be some reason dude is willing to straight trade a cummins for a 1500...

if the 53 is uncracked...no issue, but if its cracked, needs a new block. there is no repair that will hold once they crack, but they don't all crack.

if its got a good block in it, and the engine runs good with no smoke or odd noises, and all fluids look good, then you would be a fool not to trade him...

the cummins engine alone is worth more than a complete 1500 truck...

Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Brian_
Captain

I didn't see no cracks in the spots where the usually start. Took it for a drive on the highway too and cruised great shifted smooth too! only rattles was with the good old dash like in my truck.

He said he wants to trade it because he doesn't need that big of a truck. Since he got rid of his gooseneck and he got the truck for a steal off of a older gentlemen, who had it before him. Since he wanted to downsize them two traded each others cummins. He

Only thing I noticed was the little bit of oil that was leaking, under the pan, hopefully just a gasket, but still worth it in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Jigabop
Champion

oil leaks are normal...mine leaks oil everywhere lol

Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

If it isn't cracked in 181k, it isn't going to crack. Assuming it has a 53 of course

Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Brian_
Captain

Alright well the deal is off on my side because still after a full on argument about this with my father I'm still not allowed to trade. Even though everything about my current truck I paid for. June 1st I get the title and He said I can do whatever I wanna do. So I'll have to restart my search for a 2nd gen Cummins. Too bad it ain't this one because come June I guarantee I ain't gonna find another straight trade for a diesel with a gasser (once in a lifetime deal)... I'll end up spending 13k out of pocket :/

Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Jigabop
Champion

that sucks, and you're right, you are never going to find a deal like that again...

Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trust me I have been there. I had a dakota with a bad tranny which the guy that owned my truck was willing to trade plus some cash for lol I had most of the cash to pay the guy but needed a few extra k. My dad was totally against it. I wrote it all down on paper. I figured out my mpg in my dakota then compared it to the cummins. I cant remeber but I got the best mpg in my dakota with mid grade and I think as long as mid grade and diesel are no further than 35 cents apart im saving money. I figured out that per tank full on my cummins im saving 50.00 compared to my dakota. Pretty much you need to tell your dad that this is a deal of a lifetime and it either happens now or you wait 3 months and spend an extra few thousand dollars to get one. Also tho at the same time its best not to buy the first truck you look at(i did that with my dakota)

As far as the cummins I would want to know what lift pump he put on there(oem or aftermarket) also if he has a fuel psi gauge. You dont want to see below 10psi at any time. As far as oil leaks I think is common for any diesel to leak lol. The back of my oil pan seeps a little.

Quick Reply: Getting a Cummins: Require help with persuasion