Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trading for a cummins, is this diesel worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Cali7312
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading for a cummins, is this diesel worth it?

I've been wanting a cummins and I need some help since it would be my first diesel.
I have saved up some cash and am trying to sell my truck and I came across a 24v on craigslist, hes interested in a trade since he doesnt need a big vehicle and wants a 1/2 or 3/4 gasser.

It's a 1998 24v. 244k, Oil change every 5k, he's had it for 25k. New rims and tires, offroad bumper and nice paintjob. Aftermarket- turbo back 4" straight pipe, banks high ram intake, and an air raid air box no chip also just installed new head lights and taillights. 5% tint. Also a 5spd. All new steering and front end components.

But..he said he doesn't know anything about the previous owner doing engine work, so he's assuming theyre still stock injectors at 244k. Also he had the tranny rebuilt 5years ago (no paperwork) but theres is a recently found 3rd gear synchro problem.

I'm just curious how big that problem is and if I'm running into any other problems with this trade? Or how soon the injectors may go out or engine/tranny work may need done. I know I'm gonna spend $ on this. Just not within my first few months..

Thanks guys

Last edited by Cali7312; 03-09-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

any input?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

injectors can last forever on these trucks...

3rd gear synchro issue you can fix yourself if you are up for the task of rebuilding an NV4500.

53 block is something to watch out for.

check passenger side of the block and make sure there are no coolant leaks over there or stains from coolant seepage out of the block...

and I would see if it has an aftermarket fuel system or not...

if not, get one ASAP and get a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on there...

most common failure on the 98.5-02 24v is the VP44 injection pump...

if proper fuel pressure and lubrication are maintained it will last indefinitely. but if it still has the stock lift pump, no fuel pressure gauge to monitor pressure, and no added lubricity to the fuel, its a ticking time bomb waiting to cost you a grand to fix...(parts only)

Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Cali7312
Rookie

Awesome on injectors..

I don't think so on the fuel, all he said he ever did while he's had it is change the lines for the fuel.

Yeah he has no gauges and no I'm not up for a rebuild myself lol. Just wanted to see how bad that bridge is burned.

I'm basically trying to figure out if the trade is worth it for me.

I have a 2001 1500 with a rebuilt motor. So I know mine will last but I really want a new project truck. Jus my funds are gonna be tied up for a few months. Just don't want a chance like this to slide up.

Thanks for the response man

Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Get it.

With 244k on it, if it hasn't cracked yet, it isn't going to. The synchro, you can still drive it for a while, depending on how bad it is. Is it just a little tough to get in gear or does it grind and make noises?

Definitely get gauges and a lift pump right off the bat; EGT, boost, and fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: Trading for a cummins, is this diesel worth it?