Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Updated Question. It Never Ends!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:21 PM
meirowitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated Question. It Never Ends!

Well I am back again People, and need advice on two trucks that I saw:

1. 1999 Cummins 5.9L w/Banks Power Pack system, duallie, auto 3.55 rear, 4x4, 174,000, and asking $14,950 on Ebay. From the photos, the truck looks nice and clean as well as the engine. One thought did cross my mind and that was the transmission. Any problems during that year and something I should know with all that mileage. What mpgs should I expect with this truck. This truck was from Florida and is selling in upstate New York.

2. The second truck is a 2001 2500 Cummins, 5.9, manual 5 spd. with 89903 miles, 3.55 rear. Asking price is $18,880. This truck is also lifted and is being sold down in Texas, again an Ebay sale. What gas mileage should I expect from this size truck. It looks pretty clean, and the mileage is half that of the '99 and only $4000 more. Am I thinking correctly, or is there something I am missing that I should know about this vehicle or both? All help would be much appreciated.

Ted

Old 09-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Updated Question. It Never Ends!

the dualy will get slightly worse mileage since youve got more rubber on the road plus the engine is hopped up. but then you have one thats lifted and probably hearling more meat down the road. so all in all mileage will prolly be the same.

as long as the engine isnt BOMBed the 47re is a good tranny and will hold up very well. on the '01 it sounds like the NV4500. the only problem I have ever heard with that tranny is the 5th gear output staft will either break or a bolt will wring off causeing 5th gear to go MIA. However, this problem is VERY sporatic and is inexpensive and easy to fix.

when it comes to mileage both truk still have MANY miles left before anything needs to be done to the engine.

now, one thing that you can do is head over to TDR and check out the 2nd gen section and read up on some of the problems those years have so you'll be informed on what to look for. the link is in my siggy. either truck sounds like a good deal though.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:54 PM
meirowitz

Thanks Drew for your input. I'm going to check into the 2nd generation forum. I suppose with any second hand or third hand vehicle there is always a risk. Not to mention even new trucks. It all depends on who you buy the vehicle from. I'm definately lean more towards manual, especially with a diesel, but if the right vehicle comes along, I'm not going to pass it up. Thanks again.

Ted

Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to be a little cautious when it comes to the Manual due to recient developments parts for any New Venture tranny are no longer being produced. infact, shops that have parts on the shelves are now chargeing an arm and a leg for certian parts. check out my post about the bad news for NV5600 owners since this also includes NV4500's which is in 5spd your looking at, the NV3500 that goes into 04's and below 1500's and dakotas and even to the transfer case which was made by New Venture.

however there is a slight glimmer of hope. New Procecss which bought New Venture may be able to reproduce parts needed, but I'm unsure if the patents were transfered in order to legaly produce parts.

just giving you a heads up Ted

Old 09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
meirowitz

Thanks Drew for the info. Nothing wrong with being armed with all info before buying. If I miss this one, no doubt there are sooo many trucks out there to be sold. Some of the trucks for sale especially on Ebay, sends warning signals up.

You look at the open hood and see oil, or the remains of it all over the engine, or its encased in a nasty dust bowl.

But...I am not giving up. Hey, so I just might end up with an auto.

Thanks again Drew, much appreciated.

Ted

Quick Reply: Updated Question. It Never Ends!