Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Mileage on 05 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:23 AM
DIEZEL24V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Mileage on 05 CTD

I have now 35K on mine, 2005 ctd quad long-bed... mine was dissapointing at first as well , but around 20k it started improving a lot.
On the Hwy measured by miles driven and gallons refueled I got 20Mpg if I keep it under 65Mph
On the Hwy measured by miles driven and gallons refueled I got 17Mpg if I go 70 / 75
All local driving around here on Long Island with lots of traffic light sinks down to 14.5 Mpg
If I am in a rush on the turnpike at 80 I got just under 16Mpg...
Love the truck, its quite, and fast specially when you accelarate it at 65 - 80 Mph.

Good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/25594/A61F33A6CA9D49AFB3209314FEC2CF3C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Jonquale

Cummins unveils ’07 engine lineup

by Sean Kilcarr, senior editor

Feb 13, 2006 2:50 PM

ST. PETERSBURG, FL. Cummins gave reporters an overview of how its heavy- and medium-duty 2007 engines will differ from its current models as the engine maker prepares to roll out several “beta prototypes” to select truck manufacturers this month for final testing.

Jeff Weikert, executive director of mid range engineering, noted that the medium-duty product line for 2007 will include a new beefed-up 6.7-liter ISB, replacing the current 5.9-liter platform. The ’07 ISB will offer 325 hp and 750 lb-ft of torque – an improvement over current ISBs by 50 ponies and 90 lb-ft. He also said Cummins’ ISC (330 hp, 1,000 lb-ft of torque) and ISL (365 hp and 1,250 lb-ft of torque) will be equipped with the same exhaust gas recirculation technology (EGR) currently used on the ISB platform.

Weikert added that 170 beta prototypes of Cummins’ entire mid-range line are scheduled for production starting this month, with 150 earmarked for fleets in the U.S. and Canada and 20 for the engine maker's engineering research team. This follows 2.5-million miles of total medium- and heavy-duty ’07 engine testing that began in May 2005 across multiple truck applications – delivery vans and utility trucks plus tankers, heavy haulers, garbage and dump trucks as well as LTL and TL applications, he said.

“These [beta] engines represent the final validation of our 2007 process,” Weikert noted here during a news conference ahead of the Technology & Maintenance Council’s annual meeting. “The results so far from our field tests are better than I thought they would be – especially in terms of how much active regeneration of the DPF needed to undergo. We didn’t need much active regeneration to keep the filters clean; and the less active regeneration we have, the better off we are in terms of fuel economy.”

Other key changes for Cummins ’07 mid-range line, said Weikert, are a bigger 18-quart oil pan to allow for oil drain intervals to be extended to 20,000 miles, a new “coalescing filter” to clean crankcase emissions that needs to be replaced every third or fourth oil change, optional electronic oil level sensors, and an optional compression brake for the ISC platform.

On the heavy-duty side, however, Cummins was more circumspect about ratings for the ’07 ISX and ISM platforms. Yet Steve Charlton, the company’s executive director of heavy-duty engineering, stressed that ratings won’t be reduced for the heavy-duty lineup.

The engine maker stressed that the Cummins ’07 ISX engine has no additional subsystems other than a coalescing filter to clean crankcase emissions and an exhaust dosing injector in the turbocharger to add minute droplets of fuel to the exhaust stream for active regeneration. “Other than that, the ’07 ISX looks a lot like the ’02 ISX, with the exact same base engine design,” Charlton noted. “The stability of the base engine design, we think, gives us much better reliability.”

For the ’07 ISM, all the emission-related components – including the EGR cooler, variable geometry turbo (VGT), and coalescing filter – will all be on one side of the engine for easier maintenance, he said.

“The heart of our [â€07] engine system is VGT, and the heart of our aftertreatment system is a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and DPF,” he said. “System integration is the key to success, especially for maintaining fuel consumption comparable to current levels. So incremental improvements for the ISX and ISM for 2007 include an electric actuator for the VGT to provide faster response and improved precision in adjusting airflow to the engine, improved EGR subsystem with a high-performance cooler, and a faster electronic control module (ECM).”

Both Weikert and Charlton emphasized that DPF service internals, to remove ash build up, are going to range between 200,000 and 400,000 miles for both its medium- and heavy-duty engine lines, depending on the vehicle’s duty cycle, or 6,000 hours for a typical urban bus. Both said the filter Cummins plans to use for its medium- and heavy-duty products is designed to last the life of the engine.

Charlton added that only one DPF is going to be required for the engine, no matter the application or rating. “If, for example, an owner-operator wants to stay with a twin-exhaust stack style, we’ll use a horizontal DPF placed under the sleeper to clean the exhaust before the stream splits,” he noted.

Cleaning the filter itself is going to require a special machine, but Jeff Jones, Cummins vp-sales and marketing, said with the potential for a 400,000 mile service interval, most fleets won’t need to get cleaning done during the ownership life of their trucks.

Cleaning itself doesn’t take long, he said – 30 minutes on average, not including the time to remove and then replace the filter on the vehicle. The filter-cleaning machine has a five-gallon bucket for ash collection, which should take 30 to 40 filter cleanings to fill.

Jones added that Cummins expects a total of 1,000 distributors and truck dealers to be certified for warranty work by the first quarter of 2007. “We started explaining the certification process in the fourth quarter of 2005 and plan to start sending them certification kits during the second and third quarters this year,” he said. “On the service and support side, we’re a full year ahead of where we typically would be in terms of certification and training on previous product rollouts.”

In short, Cummins believes it is ready for 2007, said Ed Pence, vp & gm-- heavy-duty engine business. “Our 2007 field testing is well ahead of schedule, with field tests jointly conducted with [truck] OEMs and end customers so they could validate the performance of the entire system in real-world conditions and duty cycles,” he said. Both ’07 model medium- and heavy-duty engines will be available for purchase in the fourth quarter this year.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:26 PM
donnie
Professional

Iv got an 05 with 3.73 gears and 4 spd auto with 14000 on the clock.
The only engine mods are Airraid dropin filter and MIT.
The worst milage was around 15 for city and the best was around 21 for a combo city/hwy.
ook a trip to Long Beach the other weekend, fueled up before I left home.
Added the MMO/PS and covered roughly 200 miles.
When I got to Long Beach, the overhead showed 24.3 for the trip down which was mostly fwy.
By the time I got home the mileage showed 19.3 for the entire trip.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
RandyF
Amateur

ORIGINAL: lnx32

I have a 2005 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4 w/3.73 gears. I just passed 4500k. I am getting about 18.5mpg @ 70mph and 21.0mpg @ 75mph, unloaded and pulling a 38ft 5th wheel, I average about 14.5mpg @ 65mph on the flats, 9.5mpg uphill. I added a AFE stage II cold air intake and a DR. Performance Stage II chip. Before these upgrades, I noticed a conciderable decrease in fuel mileage. I'm very pleased with the Air intake and chip upgrades, especially pulling a "BEAST" of a 5th wheel, and I wouldn't change a thing.

My Buddy has a 2003 Ford PSD 6.0 and he can't even come close to the fuel mileage my Dodge CTD averages. Even pulling an equally sized 5th wheel.

Try going with the cold air intake! Just that upgrade should increase the fuel mileage 1 -2 MPG.

Just my $.02!!!!!!!!!!

[sm=confused06.gif] That's amazing! In all of my experience, plus proven scientific aerodynamic research, plus the fact that diesels get worse mpg the higher the rpm, and the fact that MPG starts to decrease exponentially upwards of 60mph, I am somewhat speculative of your results... If you are truly obtaining the above said results (2.5mpg greater 75 vs. 70mph), congrats to you. I do not have any aftermarket performance-enhancing accessories on my truck but, if your results are genuine, I may reconsider...

Are you rendering your results as a result of the overhead console? It is a fact that aftermarket accessories, the like of which you have installed, cause erroneous mpg readings and, as such, you should calculate your mpg via the 'ol miles/gallons method...always fill at the same pump, and at the same temp (time of day) to achieve the most accurate results....

Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
lnx32

Randy,

My results are infact using the overhead console, however, I do compare the results to my fillups and they seem pretty accurate. Just last week, I pulled my 5th wheel up over the grapevine on a camping trip to California City. About 120 miles from my house. Round trip 240 miles. I got home, offloaded the 5th wheel and kept driving on the same tank of fuel. I just filled up this morning with just over 525 miles to that tank. 30 gallons of diesel. 518/30=17.2 mpg. My best tank was on a trip up to Mammoth last October. I drove 680 miles on a tank. When I filled up, I added 32 gallons. 680/32=21.25mpg.

When I hit the freeway, I reset the economy gauge on the overhead to see if the results change. I notice that the distance to empty calculation will increase as you drive at a steady pace, such as 65, on the freeway. When I kick it up to 75, not only does the mileage economy increase but so do the distance to empty estimates. Now, to really test this theory, I drove to work, back and forth on the freeway, averaging 60-65mph. My results were 560 miles/32 gallons at fillup = 18.12mpg. Now, when I drive at 75mph steady, cruise control on, I can get a little over 100 miles more out of a tank and average 20-20.5mpg.

I have seen similar results on a friends 03 CTD. His is even better than mine. Now, the real question is what am I running in mine. I run Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic, Amsoil Universal ATF trannyfluid and 12 oz. Marvel's Mystery Oil on every fillup.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice, I'm running a mix of Power Service and MMO, the power service increased my mileage the most, and the MMO just nudged it up a bit. but one thing you cannot do without is the extra lubrication the MMO gives to the pumps

Old 03-01-2006, 03:37 AM
RandyF
Amateur

Amazing!!! I'm glad you're MPG is so phenomenal! Just got 22.8 driving from Cheyenne to Severance, CO, about 55 miles @ 75mph...empty, with a tailwind. About 22.2 from Aurora, CO to Severance, CO....~70 miles, 75mph, a little elevation increase....

It wasn't always so good, until I took it in a couple of weeks ago for a PCM reflash. I would recommend this for everyone who owns a 2003-2006 (yes, '06) Cummins.....Also helped cold startup.

Wish I had a tonneau and a tailgate cap with "lip", to help improve Drag Coefficient.....

I will also be performing my 20,000mi oil change very soon, and switching from Regular Rotella to Synthetic Rotella....this should help mpg a little...

Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
cummins2006

ORIGINAL: RandyF

....It wasn't always so good, until I took it in a couple of weeks ago for a PCM reflash. I would recommend this for everyone who owns a 2003-2006 (yes, '06) Cummins.....Also helped cold startup.
RandyF or anyone else, please can you elaborate more about that...??? PCM reflash....??

Thanks

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage on 05 CTD