Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
rodnok
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure gauge

I want to install a fuel pressure gauge on my 98.5 cummins. Anyone have recommendations on a gauge and where to hook it into the fuel lines. I thought there was a sticky on it but can't seem to find it.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
ET RAM
Rookie

Check out Geno's Garage. They sell a banjo bolt drilled and tapped for a fuel pressure gage. Then you can hook up a FP gage. You will need a needle valve to reduce the FP fluctuation. I have to drill and tap my banjo bolt. I have the needle valve but just have not been motivated to do the install. MY fuel pressure to my injector pump is not as critical as it is for your system.

Geno's Garage

Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Brian_
Captain

i think you can actually tap in on the vp44 somewhere

Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheapest and most reliable setup:

get yourself an isspro mechanical 0-30psi fuel pressure gauge

tapped banjo bolt to replace the banjo bolt on top of the fuel filter housing that connects to the fuel line that goes to the vp44. then connect a needle valve to the banjo bolt, and get yourself some 1/8" air brake line from Napa (need about 6' of it)

the air brake line is 10x stronger than the clear poly line... hook the line up from the needle valve to the gauge directly, and then just barely crack the needle valve open. you want it to restrict fuel flow enough that the gauge takes a few seconds to sweep to the pressure it is reading..if it bounces to the pressure it is reading instantly, the needle valve is open too much. you want a nice slow sweep to protect the gauge from water hammer caused by the injection pulses of the injection pump. The vp44 has been known to destroy many fuel pressure gauges that don't have needle valves to protect them.

should look about like this:

Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 PM
rodnok
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jigabop
Cheapest and most reliable setup:

get yourself an isspro mechanical 0-30psi fuel pressure gauge

tapped banjo bolt to replace the banjo bolt on top of the fuel filter housing that connects to the fuel line that goes to the vp44. then connect a needle valve to the banjo bolt, and get yourself some 1/8" air brake line from Napa (need about 6' of it)

the air brake line is 10x stronger than the clear poly line... hook the line up from the needle valve to the gauge directly, and then just barely crack the needle valve open. you want it to restrict fuel flow enough that the gauge takes a few seconds to sweep to the pressure it is reading..if it bounces to the pressure it is reading instantly, the needle valve is open too much. you want a nice slow sweep to protect the gauge from water hammer caused by the injection pulses of the injection pump. The vp44 has been known to destroy many fuel pressure gauges that don't have needle valves to protect them.

should look about like this:

Could I just use the banjo bolt that has the snubber built in to protect the gauge?

Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM
rodnok
Rookie

Could I use this instead of the needle valve?
http://www.genosgarage.com/12MM-CUMM...nfo/BF-BBS010/

Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Jigabop
Champion

I wouldn't. It is very rare to find a snubber that has enough restriction. Aside from that, there is no way to shut off the fuel in the unlikely event of a fuel leak, or if the need arises to remove or relocate the gauge...

A needle valve allows you to set how much restriction the gauge has, as well as shut off the fuel to the gauge if necessary.

links below are to a banjo bolt and needle valve from a reputable vendor who is a sponsor on cumminsforum...you can also pick up needle valves at your local hardware stores, or napa auto parts... it is a 1/8 NPT male to female needle valve.

http://www.dieselautopower.com/product_p/tbb.htm
http://www.dieselautopower.com/produ...ber%20fuel.htm

that vendor sells the isspro gauge as well...he will also price match if you find the needle valve, banjo bolt, or gauge cheaper elsewhere...

Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM
rodnok
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jigabop
I wouldn't. It is very rare to find a snubber that has enough restriction. Aside from that, there is no way to shut off the fuel in the unlikely event of a fuel leak, or if the need arises to remove or relocate the gauge...

A needle valve allows you to set how much restriction the gauge has, as well as shut off the fuel to the gauge if necessary.

links below are to a banjo bolt and needle valve from a reputable vendor who is a sponsor on cumminsforum...you can also pick up needle valves at your local hardware stores, or napa auto parts... it is a 1/8 NPT male to female needle valve.

http://www.dieselautopower.com/product_p/tbb.htm
http://www.dieselautopower.com/produ...ber%20fuel.htm

that vendor sells the isspro gauge as well...he will also price match if you find the needle valve, banjo bolt, or gauge cheaper elsewhere...
Is there any reason the isspro gauge is the one you recommend ? There are several other brand gauges for less than half the price of isspro.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Jigabop
Champion

because out of the most reputable brands available, isspro is the best bang for the buck.

isspro and autometer are the only brands I would go with as they are known to be of better quality and actually last.

avoid glowsh!t gauges.... you get what you pay for....(in glowshifts case....cheap garbage that will fail pretty quickly)

I can't recommend the gauge I have on my truck as they went out of business with the bad economy, but DiPricol (my fp gauge) used to be up there with isspro and autometer.

I run dual isspro boost gauges and can vouch for their quality.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM
rodnok
Rookie

Ok, Thanks for the Info. I'll get the parts rounded up and get it installed. Seems easy enough to do.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure gauge