Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Air conditioning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 PM
rodnok
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning.

Ok, so my AC compressor froze up and I need to replace it. I am more than average in my mechanical abilities, but have never messed with AC. If I replace the Compressor The sytem will lose the freon charge. Will I be able to just buy a recharge kit or will I need to take it somewhere to have it filled.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly it would be better to take it somewhere to have it vacuumed out and properly charged with oil and R134a.

(freon aka R12 hasn't been used in AC systems since the 1993)

don't forget to replace the AC dryer when you replace the compressor.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM
rodnok
Rookie

I was told that I needed to take it in to be emptied of the refrigerant before I remove the compressor. I know freon has not been used for many years but I forgot the word refrigerant.Ha. I also know to replace the drier. The place that told me to have it purged also quoted 200 bucks to purge and then fill after I replace compressor. Is that a fair price or am I being ripped.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Uncle Meanie
Rookie

You should take it in to have the refrigerant evacuated properly. (Freon is a brand name, like Kleenex is to tissue).
After you replace the compressor and filter drier, you need to have the system vacuumed down to remove all moisture from the system.
If the shop you are taking it to is going to vacuum the system and not just "purge" it, $200 is not out of line.
Purging the system just means they are going to pump refrigerant in, pushing air out. The problem with that is it does not remove any trapped moisture.
If the moisture gets to the compressor in the form of a solid it can damage the compressor valves.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
rodnok
Rookie

Ok, I will ask them if that is what they are going to do. Thank you all for your help.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning.