Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Well.. I just bought a new built cummins..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013 | 11:55 PM
Cali7312
|
Rookie
Exclamation Well.. I just bought a new built cummins..

And I didn't even make it home. Payed alot for it.. I need some help.

I need some help on to figure out what my few problems are. A couple I WILL search on the forums yes, but will still state them just incase you can help too along with the ones I can't technically search because I don't know where to start.

2001 2500, 24v. Sport, Black.

190k on body, 7k on ALL mods.

ATS Intake Horn, VP44 Hot Rod pump, Hamilton Stg3 Cam, 6x.18 injectors, stainless manifold, billet hx 40 and an spare aurora 3000 for compound set up, NEW 55 block from cracked 53, 14mm head studs, fire ringed, 10mil intercooler boots, flex-a-lite dual electric fans, edge juice w/ attitude w/ hot unlock, fass platinum fuel system and stage 5 suncoast transmission. With all receipts and talked to shop you modified it to prove it. Also brand new batteries and alternator.

Okay.. It's leaking oil, not sure from where yet, can't be the head.. At a complete stop white/light grey smoke comes from the hood and I'm assuming it's the oil burning of the bottom of my engine...

I was running on level one for the trip back, would only push out soot at around 4th gear getting up to 55-60 and that's it. Also from 50-60 the exhaust sound almost completely depleted but still accelerating.

The suncoast is set up for twins so it's longer shift points but my acceleration seems dull and like i'm not getting enough boost. He said he had a bungee cord holding the wastegate down for some reason I couldn't make out so I took it off and will be putting a wastegate actuator and boost elbow on because i'm not getting enough boost.

Now my main problem, it died pulling into my driveway after the 5 hour drive home with it. Died, then at a complete stop, it wouldn't turn over. Full tank of fuel. Starter clicks once and that's it. Local shop and buddy think it's a starter and or fuel pumps. Could it be eletrical? or the oil leak getting on the starter clog anything?

If you even took the time out to read this and help me out then thankyou so much. It's my first diesel and I have basic knowledge of them but just trying to piece this together.

Old 06-21-2013 | 03:54 PM
Jigabop
Champion

so starter just clicks but won't crank?

sounds like either loose battery cables, loose starter cables, or a bad starter if that is the case...

as for oil...be hard to say until you determine where it is coming from...

wastegate....WTF!? sounds like the guy you bought it from is a D-D-D... a bungee cord holding it closed?! really?!

Old 06-21-2013 | 06:01 PM
Cali7312
|
Rookie

Yeah I just got the starter off and I'm trying to diagnose it. It was covered in oil. There was a big hose sitting on top of the starter connected to the motor but idk where it goes too. It had oil all over it too.

As far as the oil on the passenger side, it's coming from my turbo but it's a newer hx40. Could the wastegate being closed shoot out oil ? Do I take the bungee cord off and diagnose a certain thing? He said it would need a wastegate actuator and boost elbow BC the bungee holding it down was keeping the turbo at 11lbs of boost.

Okay I got the starter tested and it's fine so it going back in. I'm gonna check the fuel solenoid. Could it be a lift pump failure?

Old 06-22-2013 | 03:05 PM
Cali7312
|
Rookie

Bump with update. I took the starter off and overrid it and it engages fine. I'm running P1693, P0237, P1488 codes by the key-on-off x3. Took out every possible connection and cleaned them and still running. Behind my start the crank sensor has no wire running into the port.. I don't see one anywhere either. There seems to be a fuel line down there with a blue tip not connected either. Also I have a wire connected to a relay in the top right corner of the doghouse and the wire is about 1ft long but no where to connect too.

Batteries are constant 12V and not surging, starter relay is 12v too.

The fuel pump makes a bee "buzz" for 2 seconds when I first engage the key into the "on" position, shouldn't it be constant?

If it's a fuel pump failure shouldn't my starter still turn over?

Old 06-23-2013 | 02:06 PM
Jigabop
Champion

that is normal behavior for the fuel pump...it should only run a few seconds until your are actually cranking the motor over or the motor is running.

so now the engine will crank over but not start?

or it wont crank at all?

you are getting us a bit confused here...

p1488 http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd...output-too-low

P0237 http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd...oltage-too-low

p1693 = companion code telling you there is another code that is stored in the PCM. you can not retrieve this code from the key trick.

Old 07-25-2013 | 09:27 PM
natemoses13

Starter probably needs to be rebuilt. Dont replace it with crap from the auto parts store. A $25 kit will have your starter acting new again.

Do you have gauges? Need to make sure you have good fuel pressure for that vp44.

Quick Reply: Well.. I just bought a new built cummins..