Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:40 PM
dodge626
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering

hey guys been a long time since I wrote some but im getting 35s by the weekend and I was wondering if it would be smart to change the factory steering stabilizer for a new one? I haven't experienced any problems with my steering was just reading where other guys changed theirs when they started to run bigger tires thanks guys

Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine had the factory one with my 35's right up until I converted to 4th gen T-Steering.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM
dodge626
Professional

ok why did you upgrade? was it because you were having problems or didn't want to have problems? I was looking up things last night and found a steering stabilizer bar kit from a place called hell bent steel has anyone tried that and if so what do you think? after reading about it to me it sounds like a good deal I just would like some more input on it. thanx guys

Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Leave the stock one. If it doesn't need replaced, leave it alone.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Jigabop
Champion

I replaced mine just because of the conversion. the original wasn't going to fit anymore with the 4th gen T-steering.

If I didn't change my steering assembly, I would have still been running the OE shock on there.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 PM
dodge626
Professional

ok but why did you do the conversion in the first place? was it because of what you herd and new about the steering on or trucks or did something happen to it for you to change it?

Old 06-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Jigabop
Champion

because Y steering is a crap design that causes alignment issues, can possibly cause death wobble, and my entire steering assembly was shot.

4th gen assembly (other than the stabilizer) was a complete direct bolt in replacement that converted the truck to a much heavier duty T-steering.

cost less than $300 for OEM assembly too! (that's cheaper than replacing each part individually with the same flimsy junk that was on there)

here is a pic of the old and new together..

as you can see there is a definite size and design difference.

the Y steering design does not directly link the wheels together. it has the drag link going to the right wheel, and the tie rod going from the left wheel to the drag link.

with T steering, the tie rod directly links both wheels together, and the drag link connects to the tie rod instead of the wheel directly which keeps both wheels aligned with each other.

even dodge dealers have started doing this upgrade to the 3rd gens when they have worn out steering parts, or death wobble symptoms.

dealers don't do it for second gens though because unless the second gen has aftermarket wheels, the studs on the tie rod ends will need to be shaved down for wheel clearance.

my truck has aftermarket wheels with some offset so clearance was not an issue for me.

here's the assembly installed.

and I had to do a slight bracket modification to get full steer both directions out of the aftermarket stabilizer with a 4th gen mount on the tie rod and 2nd gen axle mount location...

as you can see I notched out the mounting plate a bit with a grinder, and a shaved a couple of the bolts down shorter to clear the stabilizer at full steer.

works great

Quick Reply: steering