Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Online Tutorials/Video On Replacing AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM
TitansFan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online Tutorials/Video On Replacing AC Compressor

Are there any good online tutorials or videos on replacing an AC compressor on a Dodge 2500? My compressor has gone out and needs replacing. I'm not afraid to tackle it myself. The system is still charged and I would need to discharge it. Is that something I could do myself? Other than the compressor itself, should I replace any other parts? Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to legally and properly do it, you will need to take it to a shop and have them evacuate the system with an A/C machine.

then you can replace your compressor and make sure to check if your new one comes with oil or not. if not make sure the proper amount of oil gets put back in the system when it gets charged.

Also make sure to replace your A/C dryer/filer. (you will need a quick disconnect tool to disconnect its lines from the system) the filter/dryer unit should be replaced every time the compressor is replaced.

once both of those are replaced, take your truck back to the place you had evacuate your system, and have them recharge it.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM
TitansFan

Thanks, Jigabop.

I found this AC kit online. It appears to come with all of the things I'll need.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...800&cc=1433802

Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Jigabop
Champion

I got a similar kit when I did mine. Compressor and filter/dryer came as a package.

other than my low pressure sensor going bad and needing to be replaced, my A/C has been trouble free since.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM
TitansFan

Since I don't have these tools in my arsenal, I saw these sold together on Amazon. Seems like a good deal...

FJC KIT6 Vacuum Pump and Gauge Set : Amazon.com : Automotive FJC KIT6 Vacuum Pump and Gauge Set : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 PM
horatio102
Champion

But it'll do you basically no good....

You will still have to take it to a shop to have the r134a collected, and then put back in, unless you're just planning on venting it to atmosphere and buying a few cans to recharge with. The EPA and hippies the world round frown upon this.

If you're going to take it to a shop or HVAC shop (non-automotive commercial HVAC company might even be cheaper) to have it evacuated and recharged, they'll put a vacuum on it too so you won't need to spend the $158...

Oh, and just so you're aware, if you have a shop evacuate it, it will still build pressure and when you crack a line it'll spit at you. When they evacuate it, you can have them pull a valve core and just wrap a rag around the port to keep contaminants out.

Last edited by horatio102; 08-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Online Tutorials/Video On Replacing AC Compressor