Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo is shot? Or can I fix it? Or just upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM
95Cummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo is shot? Or can I fix it? Or just upgrade?

Hey guys I have a 95 12v and my what I think is called is the waste gate door inside the turbo is messed up. It's locked up. Won't move at all. So I am not make any boost and my truck is running like crap.

What do I have to do?
Buy a new turbo?
Can I rebuild this one?
Any options I have I'd like to know lol

And if I need to buy a new turbo should I go with the stock one or upgrade? I have injectors and lift pump and intake. Not sure about fuel plate or anything like that because it was done before I bought the truck.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing to do is check for boost leaks, usually you can tell if a turbo is toast by oil consumtion, or grab the turbine wheel and see if it contacts the housing, usually its a case of a loose hose clamp and a boost tube popping off

Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 PM
95Cummins

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
First thing to do is check for boost leaks, usually you can tell if a turbo is toast by oil consumtion, or grab the turbine wheel and see if it contacts the housing, usually its a case of a loose hose clamp and a boost tube popping off
Turbo isn't burning oil and there is no boost leaks. I grab a hold of the rod the goes from the waste gate to the turbo and it will not move. Isn't that supposed to move up and down? That's why I was thinking something internal in my turbo took a ****. The turbo itself is good but the part of the turbo that bolt to the manifold is shot. The "door" is open allowing any boost to just go out the exhaust.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

If its stuck open it can cause low boost, but moving it buy hand is almost impossible, the best way to check gate is to pull the line and use air pressure to see if it is moving

Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 AM
95Cummins

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
If its stuck open it can cause low boost, but moving it buy hand is almost impossible, the best way to check gate is to pull the line and use air pressure to see if it is moving
Yes I have very low boost and if I press down to far on the pedal it just drops all the boost. And I put a pair of vice grips on the rod and can't even move it with a pry bar. But I will try to move it with some air today. Set my regulator to like 30-35 psi and shoot some air into the waste gate. That seem good?

Can I pull the turbo right off to look at it? Someone told me the door inside the turbo could be broken off or something of the sort.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

does it have a lot of black smoke when trying to accerate? and do you have a boost gauge on the truck?

Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 PM
95Cummins

Yes boost guage will go to about 8psi and then dump to nothing and if I do hold it after it drops it will start to blow black smoke.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

im still thinking you have a boost leak or a loose clamp somewhere, if the WG was indeed stuck open, it should build boost very slow but steady, not jump to 8psi and loose it, get a very good look at all 4 rubber boost tubes and all 8 clamps, and look at the intercooler, something has to be wrong, but it doesnt sound like the turbo

Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM
95Cummins

Ok I'm going to make something up to pressurize the system and check for leaks. Can I put air to the turbo to pressurize all the components?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make one of these:
Name:  20130616_131309_zpsa9288744.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  54.8 KB

it's a rubber pipe reducer with a threaded pipe plug glued and clamped in the end. the threads bite into the rubber to help keep the plug in under pressure and the glue helps hold and seal it.

drill and tap the end and put a air hose fitting on there. then you can set your air regulator down to say 10psi and pressurize your intake at the turbo to check the system for leaks with the truck off.. cost me about $13 at home depot to make that...

Quick Reply: Turbo is shot? Or can I fix it? Or just upgrade?