Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What is the oil to gas ratio to make diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably like 32:1 32 being oil 1 being gas rather than the other way around...

my dirtbike runs 32:1 32 being gas and 1 being 2-cycle oil.

so as you can see VERY rich on oil because diesel fuel is just lightly refined oil with methanol added, but it is mostly oil...

think you would have better luck mixing oil with E85. like 32 gallons oil to 1 gallon E85. alcohol doesn't burn as hot and has a much higher octane rating so less chance of detonation due to slower burning. be much safer to mix with oil to use in a diesel without blowing holes in the pistons...

if it had to be gasoline, I would want the highest octane gasoline available...like 116 octane or nitromethane, etc...

Old 10-12-2013, 12:12 AM
horatio102
Champion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifuel
Your engine isn't one of those...

However, I'd imagine it would be basically what he said above, mostly oil with a bit of gas to cut it.

A guy I used to work with ran 15/15/1 ISH in his 24-valve. 15 gallons used ATF, 15 gallons diesel, 1 gallon unleaded.

Oh and my 12 valve doesn't require bleeding the system when run dry.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 PM
SteveR
Captain

I think you are supposed to add gas before you run too low on diesel? I had a 1992 VW Golf Diesel and it gave you a % of gasoline you could run.
Steve

Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 AM
rodcopter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever seen what straight vegetable oil does to the rings? It'll stick them to the pistons like you wouldn't believe, and in short order to

Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

M-series vehicles and generators will run on just about anything that you can pour into the tanks. Same goes with older diesels to an extent. If the SHTF and i had no other alternative but a bunch of oil and a few gallons of gas, id use it

Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is always a fun conversation and a lot of people are afraid of trying theses other fuels, but for good reason, I wouldn't do it much if at all in any 24v but I have run a little oil I'm my mega cab, but thoes injectors just make me nervous, as does the heaver fluid possibly causing issues with the high pressure system....

However a 12v would probably be just fine on a normal 2 cycle mix, but I would rather run closer to straight oil if given the two options, I have run all sorts of oil mixtures in my 12v including up to 90% waste oil, I have run just about all waste oils too, hydraulic, engine, atf, detergent, non detergent, it all works great too, little better mileage, lower egt's, just hazes a little when cold idle, and starts so smell a little with higher mixtures, synthetic even burns fine, but it stincks bad!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 PM
wards2u
Default military diesel jeeps

There was a 3 cylinder 2 cycle diesel built and used in army and naval applications. I bought a surplus engine many years ago and never used it and resold it later.It was a super charged also, which helped evacuate the cylinders of burned exhausts through cylinder wall ports. As is recall it was without any typical intake and exhaust valves. The jeeps were not the common ones we are used to seeing but 4x4s snub-nosed cab with this engine mounted midway and enclosed within the enclosed cab with 2 bucket sweats in front and bench behind engine cover. It had a short open bed on back and were used in both ww2 and perhaps Korea war These engines called Cerelist made by Waukesha were also used in naval boats and stationary applications as well. All this was passed on to me orally and subjet to corrections. Perhaps this can be better verified on a "search" of the the www.[QUOTE=Freislander;3076941]I would not have gas with me, but I might have some oil in a boonie box along with a few other goodies. Once you are out there somewhere gas trucks, etc are more common. I don't think that I have ever seen a diesel jeep. My memory is old and foggy so if I had ever seen one it has since slipped into the fog of time.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Oil and gasoline is a terrible idea and thats not basically diesel. You are better off running just plain oil.

But by now Im sure youve figured something out

Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 AM
rodcopter

A diesel engine will burn just about anything for a short while. Mixing gasoline with oil isn't 'making diesel fuel', it is making something to burn in a diesel. Burning vegetable oil will destroy a diesel as fast as anything; do the research. My sister bought some vegie oil diesel fuel that someone was supposedly making the 'right way', and it stuck her rings on her 7.3 and scored the cylinders like you wouldn't believe. Getting stuck out somewhere and doing some desperate thing would be like saying you had to keep driving when your truck was overheating. You might as well stop right away and to the right thing, you are going to have to do it sooner or later anyway. Pay me now or pay me later. One way or the other you will pay.

Quick Reply: What is the oil to gas ratio to make diesel