Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel/starting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 02:35 PM
c_rock136
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel/starting problem?

Hello, I own a 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins and I've been having some problems lately with starting it. I've been plugging it in and that helps a little bit but sometimes it won't even start with it being plugged in. It's not even cold at this time of the year so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've had to give it a shot of ether to start it in the morning and I know that's not good for it. I'm wondering if it could be the fuel transfer pump. Where is the fuel transfer pump located on these trucks? How much does a fuel transfer pump run and could it be anything else? Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel/starting problem?

it sounds like your lift pump is dead, or it could be your fuel filter is clogged. when you first turn the key to on you should hear the lift pump for about 5-8 seconds. if not it is dead and I would suggest upgradeing to a pusher pump. if you have never changed your fuel filter change that as well.

second, DO NOT USE ETHER!!! you will bend a rod, burn a valve, or even burn the injector doing this. Ive had a hummer (GM 6.2L) crack the head from the use of ether. this engine will start at -40F without the block heater.

edit: forgot to tell you the fuel filter/lift pump is found on the drivers side of the engine behind the intake. it is a round metal canister with a black lid

Old 10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
JOEY

YOU DIDNT MENTION AS ITS AN O3 IF YOU BROUGHT IT BACK TO THE DEALER AS IT SHOULD BE UNDER WARRENTY.HOW DOES IT RUN AFTER IT STARTS?IF ITS THE LIFT PUMP YOU WILL STILL HAVE A PROBLEM AND I WOULDNT MESS WITH REPLACING IT WITH A PUSHER AS YOU MAY VOID THE WARRENTY.DONT LET DODGE GET AWAY WITHOUT A FIX IF IT IS THEIR RESPONSABILITY.I WAS A DIESEL/GAS MECHANIC AND MY EXPIERIENCE WITH DODGE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT A GOOD ONE

Old 10-15-2005, 10:55 AM
JOEY

DID SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR PROBLEM--CHECK FOR AIR GETTING INTO THE FUEL RETURN LINE DUE TO A LEAK AT ITS CONNECTIONS OR A LEAKING LINE--HAVE LIFT PUMP PRESSURE CHECKED-AS IF IT FAILS IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR INJECTOR PUMP.BUT AS I SAID BEFORE LET DODGE DO THE DIRTY WORK IF ITS UNDER WARRENTY

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
karensnyder_08

Hi have a 2002 4x4 2500 5 spd 24 valve cummins Having problems with fuel leaking back *& truck doesnt start unless you let transfer pump cycle afew times before hitting ignition. Left fuel cap off & seemd to alleviate the problem, Too much pressure in a non pressure system? Seems to be worse when fuel is lower, in the tank. Any ideas? Maybe transfer pump is getting weak? Or possible sensor? any ideas would be great .

Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
hillbilli
Veteran

I used to have a similar problem on a 6.5 diesel i had, would crank and crank until i opend the fuel cap then it would vent off and start right up. Sounds like a clogged fuel vent on the top of the tank or a bad gas cap. Pump could be getting weak and burning out to due to the pressure issue, i would double check your fuel pressure, preferably when the issue is present and when it is not just to have some extra data.

Quick Reply: Fuel/starting problem?