Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

snow plow on a cummings

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:56 PM
doghausbass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow plow on a cummings

can I put a plow on the front of Ram with the Cummings?- is it too heavy (engine)?

I'm gearing up to order a 2500 mega cab with the Cummings and have leads on a cheap plow unit- I will only be doing my drive, a few family members and maybe one parking lot account.

thanks

Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: snow plow on a cummings

It shouldnt be a problem at all. I've got a guy in my neighborhood with a 2500 with the Cummins in it. Sounds awesome while's he pushin snow down the street.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is an option for the snow plow with the 2/3500's

the only problem I see is the torque of the engine and you looseing traction due to that, but other than that they make a very good plow rig

Old 10-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Mudinyeri

The 2005's even have an option for a snow plow prep package. Mine doesn't have that option but I know it exists. To me, that's a pretty good sign the Cummins (no 'g' in Cummins) will handle a snow plow. I'm thinking you'd want a good bit of weight in the bed, though.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:17 PM
cableguy
Professional

I plowed all last season in a 2500 w/ the Cummins (not mine). Throw your snowblower (sidewalks!) and your rock salt in the bed, 4HI, and knock yourself out. Our contract last year was a small community on a loop street, bottom of the hill. You had to go up the other side of the hill to access the houses. Anyway, we did the first pass in 4HI, and the rest of the time we could be in 2HI due to a trashed bearing in the front axle.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:58 PM
carcrz
Rookie

I pushed the last couple of weekends w/ my '05 2500 Quad Cab Diesel. 10"'s the first weekend & 3" the second time. I put it in 4 Low just to see how it would do. If think it could push a house over if my plow could handle the load. This thing is way better than the F250 w/ a 460 that I used to push with. Plus I now have leather seats so I'm pushing in comfort. [X(]

Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 PM
keegancb84

My dad sells snowplows, the Big BOSS V-blades. He runs his with a 99 d-ram 3500 (24v CTD). Thing kicks butt! Lighter the plow the less your gonna have to worry about trashin kingpins and trailing arms. But, like they said, if you buy the snowplow prep package from the factory you'll be taking the right precautions. Remember tho, anytime you put a plow on a truck, it decreases the life of whatever truck it is. Plow's are hard on trucks, especially a brand new one. I'd suggest buying somethin like a '75-'85 chevy 3/4 or 1 ton and beatin that up instead. Have fun with it, dont treat it like a D4 tho, its not built for that kind of abuse!

Quick Reply: snow plow on a cummings