Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2003 4x4 Ram H/O Turbo Diesel ~ FCA or Lift Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM
whenin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 4x4 Ram H/O Turbo Diesel ~ FCA or Lift Pump

Engine quit as if fuel starved. Purchased new in June 2003. 198,700 miles. The fuel pump turns off within 2 seconds of turning ignition on. The engine turns over fine ... just will not start.... I drained fuel filter (no water)...

Could any of the following be my problem:

1. The Fuel Control Acuator (FCA)?

2. The Lift or Fuel Transfer Pump (I did a code check ~~ P-0628)?

3. Do I also need to reset/reflash the ECM (by touching "disconnected" battery cables together?

Any thoughts would help! Oh, I am new to the forum, so I may need some guidance here ......

Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 PM
whenin

OK --- so there has been 60 views of my question and no responses. I realize I am a newbie although I have read about many issues and concerns on this forum for a long time. Have I posed my problem here wrong, am I on the wrong forum, thread, etc ..... for those of you in the know ... please educate me as to what (if anything) I am doing wrong by requesting assistance or more information on my issue (or any future issues).

Do I need to post more information about the problem, my vehicle, etc. etc ....

I consider this forum to be professional ... any help is appreciated!

Thank you

Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect one battery and check both batteries - you'll need a tester, not just a DVOM for voltage. Load test them.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what kind of pressure the lift pump is generating.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM
whenin
Question

Installed new fuel filter. Nothing.

I think lift pump conversion is in order (truck towed to Dodge Dealer to check out). Since the fuel tank has to be lowered/removed to install lift pump conversion, does anyone know if (as a matter of routine) the fuel tank is emptyed and cleaned during this process?

It only makes sense to me to clean the tank (especially since its 11 years old and has 198,000 miles) as there has to be some contaminants/sediments in tank.

Thoughts ? ? ? ?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 AM
horatio102
Champion

F no, they're not going to clean your fuel tank. :lol:

It'll get lowered, the area around the module will probably get cleaned off, but the insides mostlikely will not get touched.

Most mechanics are 'flat rate' which means they get paid X amount for each job, regardless of how long it actually takes. The job is to drop the tank, swap the module out, and reinstall it. Cleaning costs the mechanic money, as it makes the job take longer.

For example, last night at 5 a Gran Marquis got towed in. Crank no start. Check fuel pressure, check for power at pump. Needs a fuel pump. Pays .6 for diag. 2.4 hours to r&r the pump. .7 to replace the filter. .5 to replace the relay.

Book says to lower the tank. Why? For routing of the wire harness. Yeah right, not going to happen. Cut the old wire, ran the new wire, used a pick and screwdriver to unplug the old connector, prybar and screwdriver to install the new one, zip the pump out, replace filter, relay, install new pump. Took me less than .9 to finish the job, so I had 1.4 hours into a 4.2 hour job. That's 2.8 hours I can work on something else that I'm still getting paid for the first one. That's how we make money.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM
whenin

horatio102 ~ thanks, I though so! I guess if the shop dumps the fuel out and cleans the tank, it takes extra time (that I am sure I would pay for) .... They are lowering the fuel tank today ... I may call to see how much $$$$ because at 11 years old and 198,000 there is sure to be lots of gunk and contaminants in the bottom of the tank!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:40 PM
horatio102
Champion

If you request it, I'm sure they'd be willing to clean out the tank for an extra charge.

Quick Reply: 2003 4x4 Ram H/O Turbo Diesel ~ FCA or Lift Pump