Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1996 2500 5.9 Cummins starter stays engaged

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 PM
AmbulanceDriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 2500 5.9 Cummins starter stays engaged

So I've got an interesting, aggravating, frustrating problem. My 1996 2500 has an intermittent problem where once the truck starts, the starter stays engaged. This happens fairly infrequently, but the duration of the problem is getting longer. Where it used to only happen for a few seconds, now it'll happen for a couple of minutes. Which I know is rough as all get out on the starter motor.

Here's where I'm stumped - with the engine running and the starter still engaged, if I turn the key to the off position, it does what it's supposed to do - mostly. The dash, radio, electronics all shut off, but the engine stays running. With the starter still running as well. Eventually, the starter will finally disengage, and then the ignition key works just like it's supposed to all the time.

I've already replaced the starter relay in the box next to the driver's side battery. That didn't solve the problem.

Ultimately, my question is - is this a problem with the starter itself, and if so, when the starter solenoid is engaged, does it send power to the fuel solenoid to keep the engine running? or is there another relay somewhere in the start circuitry that I haven't found yet that's staying latched?

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 AM
AmbulanceDriver

Thanks General.... I went ahead and got a replacement starter for mine. I think I had a couple of problems going. One was the starter relay - I had a few times that the starter would stay engaged for only a few seconds, maybe 10-15 seconds at most after releasing the key. But then I started having instances where the starter would stay engaged for a couple minutes plus. After replacing the starter relay, it would only stay stuck for those long intervals. And the frequency of it went waaaaaaaaaaaay down.

I'm hoping that the new starter and new starter relay will solve the problem. But I guess I'll find out if it does it again.

Glad to know (from reading the CumminsForum thread) that the fuel solenoid does get power from the starter as well, that was one of the things that was driving me absolutely bonkers.

Quick Reply: 1996 2500 5.9 Cummins starter stays engaged