Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

leaking power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 03:05 PM
bigmike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking power steering

hey folks,
my buddy has an '01 3500 4x4 that leaks power steering fluid like water hose. there are no evident cracks or holes( so he says), and as he does not have internet, he asked me to see if anybody has this issue with a second generation ram, and if there is a cheap solution. he has tried some form of stop leak for power steering, to no avail. i believe the answer is he needs to get a new power steering pump, but he would rather have more opinions than mine.
thanks,

Old 11-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: leaking power steering

I would take a look and see if there are any cracks around the timeing cover or any parts that are connected to the vacuum pump. it could be a seal that has gone bad.

if it is the vacuum seal it is something that does go out and can be replaced easily, but is not a common issue. a new seal kit runs less than $9 (4089742) from Cummins. . .or $65 from Dodge with the same Cummins part number

Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
grunt

Hi BIG Mike, I just had a leak in power steering pump. Problem was leak in pressure hose that also is for brake boost since there is no vacuum in a diesel. Also your steering will be very hard at startup hope this helps. Frank

Old 12-26-2005, 09:18 PM
srenken
Professional

You did not say where the leaking was coming from. Power steering fluid and automatic transmission fluid are the same. On diesel and 3500 gas dually, the brake system uses what is called a hydoboost system made by Bosch. The power steering pump sends fluid into your brake booster, and into your steering gear. Trace the lines, and make sure there is no leaking from the lines. Use a piece of white paper, and stick under the brake booster, and see if the power steering fluid is leaking out of there. You have two high pressure hydoboost hoses that come out of the brake booster, and a pressure hose that goes to the steering gear.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 PM
bigmike
Professional

thanks
i will get with my buddy and do some checking on that.

Quick Reply: leaking power steering