Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2004.5 Cumsmins ECM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:47 PM
ghostrider408
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004.5 Cumsmins ECM replacement

I have a 2004.5 Dodge Cummins auto and the gauge cluster has been acting up (all lights on, gauges going up and down, etc.) for a couple months. Threw code P1652 (short to ground). Cleaned battery cables up, truck was fine for about 3 weeks. Then the issues started again and I got the "no bus" message in the odometer display. Truck died in my driveway and would only run for a couple seconds then die. Started and ran fine the next day.

Long story short... I took it into the dealer and they are telling me it's a bad ECM. They want $2,950 for a new ECM plus $390 for labor. Dealer tells me a reman ECM will give me nothing but problems, however, a reman ECM is about $800-$1,200. Quite a bit less than a new ECM. Which route should I go?

Old 12-30-2017, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,359 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Wanna spend 3 grand plus on it? If not, then you have your answer. A used ECM will still need to be programmed to your trucks VIN though, and the dealer may be the only place you can get that done.... (depending on where you get your ECM from.) There is a sponser here that does exactly what you are looking for, might wanna check 'em out, and see what they got. (ECMExchange?)

Quick Reply: 2004.5 Cumsmins ECM replacement