Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck shopping options

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Cheylittle1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shopping options

hey guys I'm new here, looking for some advice. I've been shopping for the perfect dodge for about 6 months. I've got about $10,000 to spend. I got this idea today and I'm pretty sure it's a bad one but looking for someone to agree haha.

Why not spend less on a truck with high(er) miles and spend the rest of the cash on replacing the engine and tranny. I keep hearing about $2,500 engine swaps including labor and all is this legit? That seems really cheap. If I decide to go this route and sink money into rebuilding engine and tranny on an older, cheaper, dodge am I going to regret life and wind up fixing something else every week?

Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Depends on what you buy, how old it is, how many miles are on it, and how it was treated by previous owners......

You can buy long blocks (magnum engines) for around 1600 or so, that are just stock rebuilds..... labor to R&R varies depending on where you are. (figure 8 hours labor for that. Plus whatever else is needed, oil, coolant, etc.)

Quick Reply: Truck shopping options