Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'05 2500 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 02:48 AM
cj5nutz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '05 2500 vibration

"Needless to say, for a $40,000 truck I wasn't too happy about that. At 65MPH the thing just cruises so smooth and quiet it's hard to believe it's a 3/4 ton diesel truck, but hit 67 to 70 MPH and it quickly reminds you.... "
My vibration is a resonating one , like a U joint going bad. Looks like an epidemic same speed as above

Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Bozz

Not a problem venting but I did make a call to the dealer today and informed them of the following;

1. I want it in writing that there is a known problem with the driveline and until it is resolved by DC it will be covered under warranty.
2. If they do not want to put it in writing they can just start replacing parts since I have a 8/80 mile warranty on the driveline. If they don't or cannot tell be what the problem is or whether it is causing damage to the driveline or engine then they can start replacing parts until they fix it. It is really their choice on what they want to do.

Let me add that I doubt very highly they will put it in writing.

Second it is really no skin off the dealers back to start using the warranty since it is thru DC and not the dealership. Regardless I don't really care. If they cannot or will not tell me what the problem is then they can just start shotgunning (this is a troubleshooting term used to replace entire components rather that troubleshoot the real problem) and replace engine/tranny/differential/driveline/etc.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Jet Car Guy

I recently got a vibration in my 1 ton and was sure it was a torque converter or something out of balance. It would actually make the pick up shake/bounce and feel like an up and down shaking of the pickup. You could get on the throttle hard or let off and it would not be as bad. My problem turned out to be a bad injector. After it was replaced it is now smooth and no rumble. Might be worth having the dealer check response times on your injectors. Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Swifteeee

Has anyone had this noise and vibration with a standard?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Swifteeee

Has anyone had this noise and vibration with a standard?
mine doesnt, but the ones I know that did it turned out to be an out of ballance drive shaft every time

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Bozz

On my 2004 QC it is not the drive shaft. I did just drop it off at the dealer last night since they supposedly called Dodge's tech services and found out about a couple things they should try. Funny the original story was that Dodge's engineers were working on it. Anyway, they wanted to check the angle of the driveline and possibly shim something to change the angle if necessary?? We will see....I will post again with the outcome.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Bozz

Well looks like the recommended Dodge fixes for the vibration were not successful. The dealer has an idea about installing some wedges, I assume the wedges are to change the angle of the rear axle and the angle at which the driveline ties to it. They did say that it will only change the speed at which the vibration occurs....instead of 70 it should be 75. Who knows we will see. I did get an answer from the service shop on how long Dodge has been working on the vibration problem and they said it was 2 or 3 years. I don't hold much hope that they will ever solve it or want to solve it after that amount of time. Probably easier and cheaper not to solve the problem for them and just address the few that complain about the problem. I hope they get the wedges in tomorrow so I can have the truck over the weekend.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bozz. .. they are just doing a bandaide fix with those wedges and changeing the pinion angle. you'll still have the problem

I wouldnt be surprized if one of your wheels has a low spot in the metal at this point in time.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Bozz

Drew, yes they are just bandaiding the fix. Not sure what you mean when you say a "one of the tires has a low spot in the metal"? Are you saying out of balance? That very well could be. The loaner 2006 QC long box seems to have somewhat of the same vibration at about 75 -80 although it is not near as bad.

Yes, it could be the little things although I did have the driveline pulled and "hopefully" they looked at the little simple things like the lube points and such.

I guess the other thing here is the dealership did acknowledge that DC admits they have a problem of vibration with some of the RAM pickups equiped with the Cummins.

My concern here is that if something is vibrating then something has to be absorbing that vibration and thus causing abnormal wear on some portion of the truck. Thus, the likelyhood of a problem or repetative problem over time is very likely.

Last is the money. I paid quite a bit of money for this truck and feel that I should have a good quality pickup. Having a vibration at a legal speed limit is not acceptable. I have a friend that has a chevy with the duramax and he says he get vibrations here and there at different running speeds. Sometimes it is consistant and others times it is not. As he put it, "Kinda wierd". If they (DC) can change were that vibration occurs then great. I won't run 75 MPH consistantly thus not causing a problem. I think the pro's of the truck outweigh the con (which is the vibration). Should I get a new truck? Maybe but that new truck could very well have the same problem that this one does.

Sorry for the long post.

Quick Reply: '05 2500 vibration