Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

turbo on 01 2500

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 AM
6t7gto
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turbo on 01 2500 update

Yes, it does come with the 4" downpipe.
thanks for the additional info.
Happy new year.
david

p.s. we washed the IC out with mineral spirits. the trans shop was closed friday and monday for the holiday.
the first gallon got almost all the oil out. we let it sit overnight,upright on end, to drain the remaining oil out.
the second gallon came out almost clear.
then we flushed it with hot water until no traces of the mineral spirits were evident and we let it sit for a day, upright on end,
we got it completely dry as you suggested.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:59 AM
6t7gto
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new turbo is installed

the new turbo is on.
2 problems with the kit.

the down pipe that comes with it is not long enough. fortunately, his exhaust system is not that old and we had to cut 10" off the old down pipe and weld it to the new pipe. simple enough.

the oil return line was hitting against the wastegate actuating rod. we rotated the compressor housing a little and we were able to get a piece of paper between the two.
the wastegate actuator is positioned differently on his old one.
maybe we need a return line from a later model?

now my question.
is it possible to move the wastegate rod by hand? we couldn't.
we tried to move the wastegate on the old turbo. we couldn't.
we took the actuating assembly off the old turbo and still couldn't move it.
in fact, the connecting lever on the wastegate started to bend.
is it common for a wastegate to freeze up if the truck is not used enough?

when does the wastegate open?
i had Jason rev it up and watched for the actuator to move and it didn't.
does it take a while to build pressure before it opens?
we only revved for maybe 10-15 seconds.

thanks,
david

Old 12-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new turbo is installed

I'm not sure what the super b is waste gated to from the manufacturer (no higher than 45#), but the old turbo that was on his trruck opens when the manifold pressure hits around 21 pounds of pressure. the one on my truck doesnt open untill 26 pounds, however I can hit 35# easily.

to get it to open you are going to have to put the engine under a load and have the turbo spool up. you will hear it when it opens up. best way to do this is to head to the nearest highway, hop onto it and bury the throttle into the floor board. or, if you know someone with a dyno jet get the truck on it. this way you can open the hood and watch everything to make sure the turbo is working properly. also, I would suggest if you already havent, install a 0-60psi boost gage. this would be another sure way of telling if the actuator is working. I would say you should see a pressure drop before or close to 45#.

good to hear everything is back together and running again.

Quick Reply: turbo on 01 2500