Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1997 A/C cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 09:42 AM
sprayone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 A/C cabin filter

1997 A/C cabin filter. My a/c is not working properly. Can't find a filter to replace. Do I have to replace interior condenser?

Old 06-12-2020, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

There isn't a cabin filter on your truck. At least, not stock. What is your a/c doing, or not doing?

Old 06-12-2020, 11:38 AM
sprayone

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There isn't a cabin filter on your truck. At least, not stock. What is your a/c doing, or not doing?
There is a very low volume of air and even though there is some cool air coming out of the vents, it is way off from it's normal flow. Don't know if it is the evaporator plugged up because it doesn't have a filter (now that I understand it has no factory filter), or it may be the Freon needing topping off. It is a 97 with 525,000 miles on it. Never touched the A/C Heater system since 2005. Had to replace the front condenser because of a wreck. Thanks for answering.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

Drop the blower motor. (inside the cab, right above the passengers feet, I think) Have a look in there. I wouldn't be surprised if the evaporator core wasn't plugged up with stuff sucked in from outside. Might be able to just vacuum it off, and be good to go.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:36 PM
sprayone

Thanks, will definitely give it a try..

Old 06-12-2020, 04:55 PM
sprayone

I took the fan off and it had a few leaves in it. Clean it out and reassembled it. Seemed to have a bit more pressure of air. BUT, even though it was some more air, the cool air didn't get much better. I watched the compressor cycle a few times and I think it needs more freon. I have an appointment next Wednesday with my mechanic. I will see if the truck needs more freon then. Thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: 1997 A/C cabin filter