Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

MECHANICAL OR ELECTRIC GUAGES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:04 PM
xringarchery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MECHANICAL OR ELECTRIC GUAGES?

LOOKING FOR A RECOMENDATION ON A MECHANICAL OR AN ELECTRIC SET OF GUAGES.

LOOKING TO PUT AT THE LEASTE A TURBO BOOST AND EGT GUAGE IN MY 05 QUAD.

ANY ADVICE IN TERMS OF EASE OF INSTALL ONE VS THE OTHER?

THANKS

Old 12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MECHANICAL OR ELECTRIC GUAGES?

I have a Westach dual boost egt gage. I like it, your not waiting on the numbers to appear and constantly change. it is just like the tach or speedo going up and down. At first it was a bit hard to read the gage, but after a little time I got used to it, now I dont think I could see my truck without it

it was a VERY easy install and the hardest part was drilling and tapping for the EGT probe. I put my tap pre-turbo for more accurate numbers and better response. some aftermarket boxes have electric gages and make an all in one deal. and while they are nice, I'm personaly used to my mechanical gages.

you can go with a similar install like I did and use the SRT-10 grab handle A-pillar. it all still looks stock, just the addition of a gage, check it out in my gallery.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:17 PM
xringarchery

Drew,

did they give you a diagram on where to install?

the only guages i put in any truck was volt, oil, and temp. the simple ones. i'm sure these two are just as easy but without knowing exactly where to put them i just don't want to mess it up.

i never owned a diesel before this one.

when you say pre turbo do you mean between the airbox and the turbo?

and on the egt can you put it anywhere after the exhaust manifold? before or after the cat? i would assume you would want the egt between the exhaust manifold ant the cat? ... right?

thanks

Old 12-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I mean pre-turbo I put the probe in the exhaust manifold before the turbo. if you open your hood and look at the exhaust manifold I drilled a hole where the #3 cylinder is in the middle of the main tube.if you drilled into the down tube after the turbo the temps would be considerably lower and a little less accurate. max pre-turbo temps dont need to head much over 1350F (Ive only been able to max 1100F stock) post turbo 950F is the time to back off.

The boost gage is VERY simple. all you have to do is pull off one bolt on the intake manifold, install and torque down a feed-through fitting in it's place, then install the barb fitting to fit the tubeing for the boost gage and your done. just make sure to sinch the zip ties or clamps well. I found out real quick 10 pounds of boost will blow these lines off I was just messing around anyway

anyway, diagrams are supplied, if not I'll try to hop out to my truck and snap some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:10 PM
xringarchery

Drew,

don't go through the trouble of taking pics just yet although a great offer.

i'm sure i'll figure it out when the time comes and if not then i'll take you up on that offer.
no need to go through the hassle at this time and i really appreciate the jesture.

it's good to know that you can ask someone who is not a "so called know it all" but someone who does know a lot and has had the experience and training.

thanks for all the help and i'll holler if i need ya.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Possum1
Rookie

x-ring not tring to change your mind on the gages my tuck has mech. gages at the moment but planin on going to electric digitals that are controler mounted reason is the turn up box they will be hooked to will also moniter the egt's and if they get to high it will turn the power back until in a safe range then bring the power back up and u get to set what temp is to high but i do a lot of heavy heavy towing in and out of high traffic ereas i.e. Washington d.c. among others so there are times i need to be watching where im going more than watching all my gages but thats why they make a multitude of aftermarket parts cause we all have our on opinions and we all have these trucks for diffrent reasons just throwing the idea at you

Old 12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
xringarchery

Thanks for the love! That's why we all get on to these forums. "IDEAS"

Quick Reply: MECHANICAL OR ELECTRIC GUAGES?