Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'05 Ram Steering suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM
carcrz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Ram Steering suspension problem

Whenever I hit a bump at any descent speed, my steering goes crazy. It did it to me for the second time on my way home today. It kind of feels like the wheels are about to come off the front. I don't see anything bent on it, but I'm not a mechanic either so I don't really know what I'm looking at. The truck's pretty much brand new so I doubt it's anything that I did, I was just curious if anyone has had a similar problem before.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:30 AM
Saint
Veteran
Default RE: '05 Ram Steering suspension problem

It's called Bump Steer, and it has to deal with the design of the Front Suspension. Since it's a Solid Front Axle Rig as the suspension cycles it causes the wheels to turn, and that's what you're feeling. A Steering Damper will help to solve the problem

Old 11-19-2005, 11:08 AM
carcrz
Rookie

Shouldn't that be something already on it? I would think that would be an extreme safety problem. When it happens, I have to pull over or slow way down just so it will stop.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Saint
Veteran

Not necessarily, and it really isn't a safety problem, because unless you're driving way too fast then it really shouldn't be an issue, I've driven a lot of Trucks with the same front suspension design, and while there is noticeable Bump Steer it's never to the point that I have to pull over.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:23 AM
carcrz
Rookie

It seems to do it at all highway speeds (Usually between 68 - 75 mph). It seems to shake excessively when I have a load behind me, no matter if the trailer is loaded or not. Just having something back there seems to make a difference. Maybe the additional weight makes it shake? It does it when I'm not pulling anything too though, but only for a second or two -- just enough to know something isn't right. [&:]

Old 11-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at the sway bar and all the pieces and see if anything is bent. it sounds like you are at the begining stages of the Death Wobble.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM
bigmike
Professional

your truck does have steering damper from the factory, which i suppose could be defective. you did not mention if you put larger tires on your truck because this could make bumpsteer seem more severe. it's still under warranty so take it and let the tech drive with you in the passenger seat.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:43 PM
carcrz
Rookie

Everything is completely stock & the truck only has about 4500 miles on it now. I crawled under the truck before I posted anything here because I thought that something may be bent somewhere, but I never found anything. I am dropping it off Friday morning @ Weinberg Dodge to have them check it out. Hopefully it's no biggie!

Old 12-27-2005, 10:31 PM
carcrz
Rookie

Finally had time to drop the truck off for a check-up. Turns out it is a faulty steering damper. Thanks for everyone's help!

Quick Reply: '05 Ram Steering suspension problem