Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Please help a girl out! 03 suddenly losing power followed by white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 05:53 PM
fatbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help a girl out! 03 suddenly losing power followed by white smoke

03 3500 with 24x,xxx miles. Manual 6speed.

This morning, I took it to the station and put 33.xx gallons in it, drive straight home (<2 miles), backed it under the trailer, and waited til the kids got off work to head out in our weekend adventure.

5 days, ago pulled 10,000lb trailer with zero issue. Hauled a tractor home this week, no problems. No problems getting home this morning but it was a short trip.

Pulled out into the highway for our trip and at about 30mph, it cut power. Coasted a bit, it blew a huge puff of white smoke and took off again. As we approached the next range to shift, it did it again. Was fine at lower speeds.

Circled back home, changed the filter, seemed to help but did not solve the problem. No issue starting or driving low speed with the trailer or around the yard to unhook, etc. No smoke any other time.

Drained some fuel into a jar and it looks ok.

Help a girl out. What am I looking at here?

Old 09-25-2020, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,302 Likes on 3,047 Posts

What engine? Since you are in the diesel section, gonna guess that's what you have?

Are you getting proper turbo boost on acceleration??

Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 PM
fatbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, it’s the 5.9 diesel

Re: turbo, I can’t say, but the timing would make sense if it’s not. I’ll check when we get home.

Last edited by fatbull; 09-25-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Please help a girl out! 03 suddenly losing power followed by white smoke