Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Chip tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:48 AM
GhettoerkP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip tuners?

I'm betting a question of this sort has been asked millions of times, but going back to my other post about modifying the truck and the automatic transmission handling the load, tell me:

What's a good combination of parts and such to give me great and awesome power while not blowing up my engine or destroy the rest of my drivetrain? (Understand that I do not have thousands to spend on this....)

The Banks Tuner, so far as I've seen, has shown the best power, boasting up to 126 hp and 290 lb-ft increases over stock. Of course, you're gonna need to let your car breathe in order to achieve such gains.... Also, overheating and such becomes an issue. The Big Hoss package they offer sounds really awesome for about $2000.... which I won't afford.... so ya... I need to find the cheapest combination of parts that won't destroy everything I plan to own and love.

So here's what information I've gathered from reading random threads:

1. Most tuners work by increasing fuel pressure, but the vanaaken only changes timing and the duration of time the injectors stay open. Increasing the fuel pressure causes problems, but those tuners seem to brag about increased gas mileage. The Vanaaken doesn't have anything about increasing mileage, and just from the sound of what it does, it seems like it would reduce it. So ya, which tuner would you suggest? I'm still leaning toward the Banks... advantages? disadvantages?

2. Intake and exhaust... that's a necessary but seemingly expensive (at least to my wallet) addition. I've been into import tuning for a long time, so I know companies for that, but what's good for the diesel? Changing the filter and the intake piping to the turbo is one thing, but I've seen the little air inlet on the top of the engine being changed out too. Is that necessary? Once again, Banks makes one of those too. As for exhaust? which company do you all think I should go for (I gotta work a looong time for the money, but I'll make it!!!)? Some back pressure is of course necessary to make some torque, so I'm thinking 5" piping is a bit much. Then again, it's what my dad has on his Ford. Could you give company name, advantages, and disadvantages?

3. cooling? Is it necessary aftermarket?

4. Transmission.... automatic... I hear from one person that it's almost indestructible, and from another that the torque converter will implode or something and the input & output shafts will twist and the transmission will slip.... soooo.... umm..... let's take a vote! who thinks the 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9L HO CTD w/ 4-spd auto tranny will handle it all stock? Who thinks I should modify the tranny? if so, how should I do it w/o spending a bundle?

umm.. I might keep going, but my dad's pulling my ears to get off the computer, so I must go. Thank you, bye

Old 12-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chip tuners?

tell you what, best bang for the buck would be this guy here

this chip also manipulates the timeing and duration, but is the only one I would reccomend that also increases rail pressure. but it only raises rail pressure on the high setting. people have been seeing as much as 2mpg gain with this guy.

if you want INSANE power that even banks cannot match look this one over and also do some google searches. does 150 hp gain, and whopping 500 ft lb. torque gain sound good

you have said it pretty well yourself, overheating will become an issue since the stock turbo can realisticaly handle 100hp over stock. the addition of an aftermarket larger turbo will help keep things cool. with your 03, you dont have a kitty to worry about, so either straight pipe that bad boy, or put on a performance muffler, both would be good for a 100F drop in EGT's. with the stock exhaust, I believe yours starts life out at 3-3.5 inches at the turbo then increases to 4 inches. all you need to to is ditch that section that is three inches and install a full 4 inch section, again, good for a few degrees of EGT drop. there are alot of aftermarket intakes, so many infact that I cannot name them all.

as far as keeping things cool, the stock radiator and intercooler are more than capable to handle the job, I wouldnt touch those.

now, for your tranny. in stock form, it is a VERY good unit to be able to live behind the cummins. however, put either of the two boxes I mentioned on at full power and hammering it will lead to some very unpleasant happenings. your bets bet in turning your truck into a rocket ship(and I am being literal about this) is to hit up either ATS or DTT. they have the stuff you need to handle what ever you want from mild to WILD!!!

if you notice I like to stay away from banks. main reason, price. for what it does and the cost, you can get better for less

Old 12-23-2005, 11:21 PM
GhettoerkP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So.... hehe, well the Xzillaraider sounds good. I think I'll go for that... But ya, my pockets don't reach so deeply, so I was wondering what exactly I would need to modify in the transmission to bulletproof it against massive torque and hp gains? Rather.... what's the cheapest set of parts I could get to make it run quick, but safely ( ya... I'm cheap haha) so yes... help?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any time you mess with the tranny it is going to be expensive. the best thing I can say is try and be selective of when to use the high setting and how much you put your foot into it.

but once your tranny starts to go it is better to just go all out

Quick Reply: Chip tuners?