Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'88/'89'90 Diesel: what do I look for? New here,Tips appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
DennisT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88/'89'90 Diesel: what do I look for? New here,Tips appreciated...

I'm waiting for a 'phone call from someone with a Dodge Cummins pickup from, "...the 1980's." So it can only be an '88 or '89, if that's when they were introduced. It is supposed to be a decent truck at a good price (sorta family connection here), but I don't know what to look for. I could really use something to haul furniture, belongings, three trips with car trailer, etc., over Cascade Mountains here in WA state during the next 4 months.

Any problems with the first 3 or 4 years of the Dodge/Cummins production? I can look for usual mechanicals, I'm just new to diesels.

Tips appreciated.

Dennis

Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: '88/'89'90 Diesel: what do I look for? New here,Tips appreciated...

oooo. . the origional ISB's. I would say it is an 89 since that is when they were introduced, it might have a build date in 88, but in 89 is when they were set out to the public.

first thing I would do would be to change all the fluids, filters, and grease every grease fitting and forget about stopping for anything but fuel. one thing is common about these engines from 89 all the way to the new 06's. the more you load them up the better they run.

an old 12 valve is an engine that is hard to beat. they are virtualy indestructable and with a few adjustments to the pump you can make that engine into a rocket

however, the one thing that I would look out for would be the vacuum pump. when the seal goes out it usualy takes the power steering pump with it since they run on the same common shaft. if you notice leaking power steering fluid it would be good to change out the vacuum pump seal as well. all the parts you need for that are less than $10 from cummins.

thats realy all I can think of about the old ISB's they are very simple in operation and if something happens they are easy to fix. but it is amazing what that 160hp 440tq engine can do

Old 01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
old school fool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '88/'89'90 Diesel: what do I look for? New here,Tips appreciated...

Mileage, service documents, auto or manual trans, service history on either. If it's an auto first check the fluid for a rich pink color. Should be the color of new fluid. Then all the typical stuff applies. Look under neath for large oil leaks. As far as I know this is not common on CDT. If they present maintenance records and it's under 300,000 you'll get good service from it. Also these are not light weight trucks, tires and shocks are important. These may show signs of neglect in other areas. A little bit of maintenance goes along way with these trucks. I hope this helps. Dave

Quick Reply: '88/'89'90 Diesel: what do I look for? New here,Tips appreciated...