Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dodge/d-max

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
gametrail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge/d-max

I have a D-MAX and that is why I am here now. I am looking to trade for a dodge. My D-MAX is 04[:'(] and I have put 4 set of injectors, 2 wireing harness for the injectors, a fuel gage. a speed-o-meter and I don't know what else. I have had chev's a long time. But the last 2 have been junk. I will not get another one. I am here checking on what kind of troubles you have with the dodge. This is the only way to get the facts. From the guy and gals that have them. gametrail

Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dodge/d-max

I saw your post in the other thread. . .sorry to hear about that.

anyway, with the cummins engine it runs basicaly the same injector pump, but slightly different injectors, both still made by Bosch. Depending on what year you look at depends on the problems. 04 and earlier has a fuel filter canister moounted lift pump that tends to be problematic. between 98.5 and 03 if this lift pump went out the VP44 injecotr pump would be killed as well. the new HPCR engine with the CP3 injector pump are better when a lift pump dies. the CP3 that is on the duramax IIRC has the ability to suck fuel on it's own, the Cummins CP3 while it doesnt have this function, is able to do this, but not as well. This is all I can realy think of right off the top of my head.

another good place to look at is TDR, click on the pic in my siggy, Diesel Ram, or Diesel Truck Resource.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Shadow Caster
Rookie

I am a diesel mechanic and I will just say I will have nothing but a Dodge with a Cummins. In my opinion there isn't a better engine out there in the pickup market. I know alot of guys who have them and there are 5 in my family. We all love them and have very little problems with them. As far as the lift pumps go I know of guys who put 12 volt lift pumps from NAPA in there to replace them if they go out. I just dont think you will go wrong if you buy a Dodge.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:14 AM
mikebol
Veteran

A buddy of mine lives on the south side of Indianapolis and works at the Franklin Power plant where they make the PowerStroke and DuraMax 6L diesels for Ford and GM. He says they have had a lot of problems with the heads in the 04/05 model years and they *think* they have things worked out in 06. But in his words, these motors are *crap* compaired to the old 7.3L International diesels.

If you want a rock solid PowerStroke, go back to '99 or so and get a 7.3L and that motor will run until the body falls off the truck. Otherwise, you won't be at all happy with PowerStroke or DuraMax.

Also, don't be fooled by the "Allison" transmission in the GM trucks. From my research on the topic, everything I have read and heard indicates this tranny is not built by Allison but uses technology GM licensed from Allison. To say that it has the same reliability and durability as a true Allison transmission would be completely inaccurate.

The Cummins has and continues to be your best option for a Diesel.
The 48RE is a solid transmission to have behind it.

Mike

(Willing to trade my Hemi for a CTD)

Old 02-10-2006, 11:59 AM
gametrail

What is the [48RE is a solid transmission] auto or the 6 speed. Which is the best way to go?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 48re is a good unit in stock form. some gear splitting in the auto would be nice, but since the torque band of the engine is as broad as it is(610lb-ft from 1500-2800rpm) there is no need for it since the torque converter is there. The 6spd manual, the G-56 from what I have seen so far is good, but the long term outlook is unknown since it was introduced in 05. The downside to the G56 is it is rather high geared, at 70mpg the engine is turning 2300rpm, where as the auto is only turning the engine 18-1900rpm with the 3.73's.

if you look at an 04 or earlier I would say give the 6spd a look-see especialy if it has the 3.73 rear axel. but in 05 and up the gearing is so high I wouldnt get the 6spd unless I was towing.

oh, the 4.10 axels are only offered with the auto now.