Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:00 PM
italianfranco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Temp Gauge

I factory ordered a 2006 2500 Mega Cab CTD 6spd and should be getting it by the end of the month. These will be the longest 6 weeks of my life waiting for it, so as I am waiting, I've been reading through the forum to get up to speed on CTD and Dodge's.

I'd like to install a pyrometer and boost gauge. I will also be towing a 5k lb boat which isn't much for this truck ... however, I'd like to install a transmission temperature gauge as well.

Three questions:
(1) Can people recommend the brand of gauges to purchase. Are AutoMeter gauges quality or not?
(2) Do manual transmission oil gauges exist? If so, who makes them?
(3) I am very mechanically inclined but I never installed gauges in a vehicle before. What is involved in installing each of these (e.g. the pyrometer requires me to drill and tap a hole in the exhaust manifold prior to the turbo). What about the other two gauges?

Thanks in advance to all,
Franco

Old 02-09-2006, 01:23 PM
krcservices
Default RE: Transmission Temp Gauge

Sounds like a great truck. I just bought and '06 3500 6 spd ctd as well. I have history as a Cummins pwered big-rig owner. All trans temp guages are available from heavy truck suppliers. Which I'm sure many here will confirm. For years Stewart-Warner was a good name. It probably will depend on the bezel style you are interested in. See your local Kenworth or Peterbilt dealer they can hook you up...I probably won't install all of those things in my RV puller. I have had plenty of THAT excitement in my trucking days, but I AM curious what this little 5.9 puts out for manifold pressure in stock form. I assume there are sensors in the manifold/pressure side of the turbo to tell the computer what to do. I probably SHOULD get up to speed with that. The tranny temp sender is easy as well as one for the rear diff...

have fun

Old 02-09-2006, 01:34 PM
krcservices

oh yes, about the boost pressure (manifold pressure);

you can tap in a line on the pressure of the turbo most anywhere..I haven't looked but i imagine there are tapped holes wiht pulgs there as well since the computer needs to monitor boost somehow. Most any hole will do,even on the manifold itself since "boost pressure" is exactually that----the manifold is "under pressure"...I'm not sure but i would suspect you can get a pyro reading form existing taps on the exhaust manifild as well. some people have argued the advantage of pyro readings on either side of the turbo...but on the input side you at least get to see what the pistons are feeling. I'm gointo have to look at mine..I bet there is a way to tap into what the compter uses for exhaust temp if you can find the right vendor with a gauge..eeven an electri send may not be bad if you get an accurate reading...those thermocouples are harder to feed thru the firewall sometimes....but now that i think ofit,,iHAVE seen a larger unused plug thru the firewall...good luck

Old 02-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the boost presure is the easy one. all you have to do is pull out one of the bolts on the intake manifold and replace it with a hollow bolt with a line nipple on it. your done with that one.

with the EGT sensor I drilled mine pre-turbo right at the #3 cylinder. I didnt take the manifold off, I just drilled in place. I used some thick grease and stopped alot to clean the bit to make sure I didnt have alot of metal shavings go into the manifold. then with the tap I did the same thing, took my time but I still has a little bit of metal go into the manifold, but apun start-up the turbo isnt spinning fast to damage is not going to happen. there are no sensors in the exhaust, the computer monitors boost theough the MAP sensor on the intake manifold. these engines have been turned back to the point where in stock form 1200F is about all you will see. unless you put a 100+hp box and thrash the motor then you'll see 1500+ but 100hp is about the most stock parts can handle anyway.

but a tranny sensor, I realy wouldnt worry about that on the G56. if you had an auto then one would be usefull, but unless you tow heavy I wouldnt worry.

if you want to see my EGT boost gage in action hit up my gallery.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
italianfranco

Are transmission temp gauges for automatics and manuals different from one another? In reading product info from AuoMeter and interpreted the answer to be "yes" but in looking further into the product I don't believe that is the case any longer. Is that correct (that is, they are same gauge)?

Are these gauges simply installed in place of the transmission drain plug? If so, is it easy to get to on the 6 spd manual?

Franco

Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
italianfranco

Drew,

Thanks. I've already seen your gallery and your previous post and helped. What brand of gauge do you have? I figured that I wouldn't need the trans oil temp until I get bigger loads towed, but if I am going under the hood and mess with wiring I'd rather just do it all at once.

Franco

Old 02-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a westach dual gage. I like the 35 PSI, but now that I look back on it I probably should have gone for the 60psi version.

if you hit up geno's garage you can find it there and they will ship you all the small bits and pieces you need to install it. I also sprung for the SRT-10 grab handle to keep it looking stock

I'm not all up on the G56 tranny used in the 05 and up trucks. I know with the NV5600 there are coolers that mount to the PTO openings of the tranny. this is where you would mount the thermistor

Old 02-10-2006, 12:56 PM
italianfranco

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Irish4u1978
Professional

I`m getting ready to put in isspro gauges, because I think they match stock very well.

Quick Reply: Transmission Temp Gauge