Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

info on transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006 | 05:57 PM
jmurray
Default info on transmission

I have an f- 350 6.0 that is a dog. Looking to move to a dodge. I have heard that dodges have had problems with their tranny. I have also heard that dodge has a new tranny that they are using with the cummings engine. I have also heard that the new tranny is an allison. Can someone clear all this up for me. Jack

Old 02-09-2006 | 06:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: info on transmission

have heard that dodges have had problems with their tranny
that depends on who you talk to and what they have done to their engine. the tranny will only do and hold so much. but the new 48RE is a pretty darn good unit. however when you have an engine that runs like the Cummins does it will shred Fords tranny and make chevy's drop gears.

I have also heard that dodge has a new tranny that they are using with the cummings engine
the 48RE was introduced in 03 to handle the higher power output of the Cummins engine. the only major revision that has been made was for 06 so it can handle an exhaust brake.

I have also heard that the new tranny is an allison
NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!!

the 48RE is made by Dodge. Chevy's tranny is an allison "wanna be". it uses parts that are close to what allison makes and uses technology developed and liscenced by Allison, but the tranny is not made by allison either, it is built by GM.

in 07 a new Cummins is going to be unvield, a 6.7L that will be going into the 4/5500's. the tranny on this engine is designed and built by DC as well. the 68RE. there is also rumor this new engine will make it's way into the 2/3500's as well.

hope that clears up a few things.

One more thing, if you pull the engine out of that truck it is a very good truck. Stuff the 5.9L cummins under the hood and you now have a truck everyone wants. BTW, there are kits out there to do just that, but no kit exists to put the International-navistar 6.0 in a Dodge or Chevy, and the same for the Isuzu 6.6L.

and before you say it, Ford DOES NOT own Cummins

Old 02-10-2006 | 12:39 AM
jmurray

thank you for your time. I reaaly appreciate all the info i can get on the dodge before i invest $$$$$$$$...made that mistake before.

Old 02-10-2006 | 11:02 AM
Drew
Professional

thats what we are here for

Quick Reply: info on transmission