Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What are the stock off-road capabilities?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:58 PM
DieselDriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the stock off-road capabilities?

How many owners can wade in on this topic?

I'd like to know what the 2500 diesel is capable of right off the lot.
Okay, maybe new tires are in order, but I'm not interested in hearing what it could become, just what it is.

SPECIFICALLY:
How does it compare to other vehicles?
Can I take it across the countryside without roads?
To the top of a mountain?
Through a shallow river (minding the salmon beds).
Rock climbing?

What are your experiences? Getting stuck? Overwhelmed? Rolled (YIKES!). Handled great? Been where no vehicle has gone before!?!?!

I would like a complete picture if possible.

Stock:
No lift kits, springs, suspension mods, drive train replacements, etc...

Old 02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are the stock off-road capabilities?

right up my lane since I am completely stock.

my opinion, in stock form it's not all that great. but 4x4 has pulled me out of some interesting situations. there is alot of weight in that front axel so when you get into some soft stuff your gunna sink. aside from that, once you go up the mountian pulling a 35 foot travel trailer, and then come back down, wrap a chain around the mountian and pull it home with you cause the engine has enough torque to do it easily. when it comes to trails and rocks torque is good to get things going, but too much torque will cause you to spin out, as long as your easy on it it will pull up the rock or trail idleing

but you hit it yourself, put on some good tires and the not all that great goes away and becomes ok, but the front axel is still gunna sink if your not carefull.

edit: forgot to add, just due to the weight of the engine it's not going to be the worlds best off road truck which is why a gasser is good since they are much lighter. but will it get you where you want to go. . .as long as you have good tires for the terrain you are going through.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:53 PM
mcohen

Haven't had a problem since I put on 35x12.5x17. Got through some really muddy and soft spots. Only mod. if you can call it one was the leveling kit so the tires fit in the front. Other than that, I'm completely stock when it comes to suspension. Got a Magna Flow exhaust and planning on throwing on a computer and Banks intake manifold shortly.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:37 PM
dieselram
Captain

Now, I'm not stock, but I have photos from when I only had 35" A/Ts on. I'll show you the downside of the diesel engine as soon as I get home from work (I thought I had the mud pics online). Just as a preview, the only thing that stopped my sinking was the drivetrain (axels and tranny mainly).

Edit:

Found them, check out about 3/4 down the page
https://dodgeforum.com/m_360182/mpag.../tm.htm#385047

Old 02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
mcohen

Dieselram, did you have to put a 2" leveling kit on the front end to keep the 35's from rubbing? I'm actually thinking about taking them off my truck.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can put on a leveling kit for the front and that will allow you to run the tires without rubbing

Old 02-24-2006, 11:40 AM
dieselram
Captain

Yeah Drew,
I had the leveling kit the second week I had the truck because I don't tow much (only when I have to move for the military) and I prefer the level look. I don't count it as a modification, but I guess it does technically because it alters the suspension geometry.

P.S. Not to thread jack, but good luck in the Ride of the month voting Drew.

Quick Reply: What are the stock off-road capabilities?