Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking for more air

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 PM
dieselram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for more air

Well, I hit a wall in my performance gains. All these boxes add power through fuel tuning, but after a certain level the power is just clouds of black soot. I'm getting ready for the banks intercooler and piping kit, but after that what else can I do to increase airflow? I've looked at nitrous for the track, but I want the performance to be there 24/7. Would a larger turbo (or twin turbos) do it? Any other (less expensive) ideas?

Example Turbo:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO...40824427QQrdZ1

Before people mention a new airbox or BHAF, I am currently building a ram-air duct in the fender. Once that is completed, I will find an upgraded airbox that fits my odd application.

Thank you for your help,

Old 02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for more air

when you go over about 400 hp, the stock Holset HX-35 turbo just cannot keep up. not only that but the stock lift pump can only handle about 100 more hp over stock.

the only way to get more air is with a larger turbo and your on the right track. the sleddy-66 is a good one, the super'B' is another and I would say with what your doing the HTB 66/14 would be another choice.

twins would be a bit much and takes alot of tweaking and tuneing to get them to run good, and not only that but if you want them to spool good you would have to loose your A/C.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:25 PM
dieselram
Captain

Thanks Drew,
You mentioned another fuel pump in one of my other posts and I'm trying to decide when to purchase and install it. I've backed my truck down to almost stock right now for fuel economy. I'm just waiting on a price from my paint & body guy to see what the damage will be when I have to get my ram-air opening cleaned up.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Drew
Professional

you know where the air dam is right next to the radiator on the passenger side. I can see something comeing from that area. granted you do have to work around the A/C lines, but when that thing comes off it is known to reduce intake temps when one has a BHAF like the one I have.

with the fuel pump that is something that you are going to need soon with the way you are going. it is going to get to the point where you are going to run into a de-fueling issue when your running with your foot on the floor board.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
dieselram
Captain

I've looked at that plastic air dam and wondered if I could get more air through there, if thats the same piece you're talking about.
After taking my headlights out for the DIY clear side markers, I saw the opening in the fender for the stock airbox and thought I could add a NACA style duct (allows fresh air but doesn't dramatically increase drag like a scoop) in the fender.
Is the BHAF re-usable? I saw they are over $100 and thats a lot if you can't clean it.
I'm waiting on the pump because I had to put my world domination on hold for a year while I deploy. I'm letting my mother borrow the truck while I'm away so it gets driven and she doesn't have to buy a new vehicle this year.
No need for her to have more than 400hp so I am stockifying (or de-modifying) the truck, even the rims are coming off and going in storwage. I think I should also add steps so she can get in and out everyday.
This is a big jump from adding a little performance, so I just wanted to ask the questions now so I can order parts over the year and have everything ready when I get back.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Drew
Professional

the NAPA 2790 air filter I got was $47 with a military discount

it is not reusable, but the filter is so large that one can probably go a few years without replaceing it as long as you take it off and blow the dirt off from the inside out.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:27 PM
bekim
Professional

Turbo. The bottom line is only so much flow can get thru the stock turbo.
A BHAF is only going to give you 5 cfm over the stock airbox. 675 stock cfm, 680 BHAF. These numbers come from info about the filters posted at fleetfilter.com. Even with a jet engine pushing air towards your front end it's only gonna take 5 cfm more than stock.
IMHO a turbo will allow you to use more of the available flow than anything else! The super b sounds like a pretty impressive single from what i've read. More volume, higher boost, quick spool-up
Cheers
Mike
###