Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 11:21 PM
49lambert
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice welcome

I just picked up my truck. I am new to the diesel scene so any advice would be welcome. I bought a 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab. It has the 4 speed auto and 3.73 gears. At what temp should I plug the truck in to make it easier to start? When should I use anti gel in the fuel? I live in Northern NJ if that matters.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: advice welcome

the grid heater will get the truck going all the way down to -20F. it'll smoke like locomotive, but it will run. If you do what to hook it up, I would say when it gets below 0 would be a good time to do that, and you dont need to have it hooked up for long. generaly in the winter for the northern states they already add anti-gelling to the fuel. but it also never hurts to add some of your own during the winter. If you were to add some I would suggect Power Service white bottle. it has anti gelling addatives in it, plus gives the fuel a higher cetane rateing for better power and economy, plus more lubrication than this new ULSD fuel that is comeing out.

enjoy the truck and remember, dive it like you stole it!!!

Quick Reply: advice welcome