Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

diesel or gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Cageman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: diesel or gas

I would be interested in the fix also. Thanks

Old 03-05-2006, 11:39 PM
murfman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found it on the TDR website, but I am no longer a member, so I cant find it. search the TDR for KDP or Killer Dowel Pin. There are 2 fixes, 1 was using a jig that a TDR member made to drill a hole in the timing cover and threading in a set screw to keep the dowel from moving. (This method is quick as you have nothing to disassemble) The 2nd (the way I did it) involves disaasembleing the front of the motor, Fan/shroud, belt, etc.. and removing the timing cover, the dowel pin hole is then accesible, I cleaned the area very well, and tig welded the hole shut, trapping the dowel pin in place. you can also drill/tap the hole and locktite a set screw in place. Supposedly 24V motors dont have this problem. Cummins redesigned the housing usin a stepped hole, so the pin can not come out, but mine did NOT have this fix, as a matter of fact, the pin on mine was 1/4 to 1/2 out of the hole when I found it. I welded it, becaue I can, and i dont have toworry about the set screw ever coming loose and falling out, along with the dowel pin.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:09 PM
max39
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you tell if the block is a "53"? I am shopping around for trucks from the 2000-2001 era.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 53"s have been see as far as 01, however not all are bad. it is a casting snafu by an engine casting company in Brazil. the water jacket on the exhaust side is only 5.5mm thick instead of 11mm. aparently someone read metric and standard wrong.

anyway, to tell if it does have a 53 block crawl under the truck and look on either side of the engine. on the front portion you will see '53' cast onto the side. if you see something else most likely you have what is called the big boy block, one that is practicaly indestructable

Quick Reply: diesel or gas