Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

wierd liquid

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 PM
DR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd liquid

This morning I needed to move my truck (06 CTD) to get the car out of the garage. So, being the good diesel owner I started and let it run for about 2 minutes, moved it then shut it off. I went back outside about an hour later and noticed a canteloupe sized wet spot under the truck. I proceed to crawl under the truck and investigate. It was not motor oil nor was it tranny fluid. However, it was slippery and sort of clear. Perhaps engine coolant? It looked to be coming from a little half circle cover located between the oil pan and the tranny fluid pan. Anyone have any suggestions? Was it caused by the short run time? I did notice a 3/4 inch open ended pipe in that general area above the transmission. Looked like some sort of overflow tube. Anyone? Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?

Doug

Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Batphreak
Veteran
Default RE: wierd liquid

That big tube should be the engine breather vent. It pukes a little bit out now and then. Nothing to worry about, that cantelope size spot was probably all of 3 drips. Small leaks make big spots. Doesn't hurt to check the oil level, though, I make it a habit to check at fill-up.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:58 AM
kb5zcr

I have an 06 2500 ctd also. I noticed the same thing just today. I crawled under and my leak appears to be coming from the same small cover. I think that it is tranny fluid. That cover covers the flywheel and starter ring gear.

Have you taken yours in to the dealer yet? I only have about 2500 miles on mine so I will take mine in a couple of weeks if it keeps up. The liquid has a slight reddish tinge to it. Is this what you are experciencing? I think it might be the front seal of the tranny.

Please keep me informed with any updates. I hate to think that my brand new truck is leaking allready.[sm=boohoo.gif]

Thanks, Tim

Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 PM
DR

Tim,

My 06' has 1700 miles on it so I to hate to think that I already have a leak. However, I would say that the liquid did have a slight tint to it, but I'm not sure if it was red. I have not taken it to the dealer yet as I have not seen it again. The spot on the drive has now dried up and disappeared. It did take a few days for this to happen. I still don't know what it was. I checked all fluid levels all are within "normal" range so I will keep a close eye on it. If, it happens again I will take it in for a check up and will post any and all findings for others to view. Keep us posted on your situation as well. Curious minds would like to know.

Doug

Old 03-25-2006, 03:02 AM
kb5zcr

Doug,

I went a day and didn't see the liquid under my truck, and then when I came out this morning to go to work there was a small spot (about 3 inches round) under the truck of this liquid with a slight red tint . I had parked the truck in a different spot so I could keep an eye on it.

Anyway, I popped the hood and looked closely with my "stinger HP" flashlight and noticed just the smallest moisture line that ran down the passenger side of the engine block towards the tranny. I traced it up to a hose on the right side of the engine near the far inside cylinder. this hose looked like a coolant hose and the heater hose came off of it a little further down the line.

Anyway, I took off the radiator cap and found that the antifreeze has a slighty red tint to it. Wow, I thought that it was tranny fluid for sure, but it turns out to be antifreez.

I tightened the top hose clamp on the hose (couldn't get to the lower one on such short notice, I had to go to work) and I truely believe that this will solve the problem.
I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days but I bet this was it. Check out the hose on your truck, it sounds like the same thing. The hose has a foil type heat wrap on it to protect it from the heat of the exhaust and it is on the right side of the engine towards the rear of the engine.

Good luck, Tim

Old 03-25-2006, 04:21 PM
DR

I am going out right now to check the clamps.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 AM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

I have this same random puddle... What was the rest of the story?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Little Foot
Veteran

I had this problem in august of last year the dealershiptightened theclamps and sent me on my way. I have not had any markings since on the driveway

Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 AM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

Thanks! I will check mine too and hope to have the same results. Is it a short hose?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 AM
blownsoot

mine had the same problem as well, dealer tigtened the loose clamps

Quick Reply: wierd liquid