Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Loss of Boost Pressure and Power Towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006 | 08:38 PM
cwsoules
Default Loss of Boost Pressure and Power Towing

My 2000 Ram Cummins truck has not had boost pressure when towing several times on our trip. Previously a rap or two on the turbo charger would restore boost. A day or so ago near Tupolo, MS I had no powet when towing, no boost and raps on the turbocharger would not get it back. I disconnected the truck and drove into Tupolo.

There was heavy black smoke, high EGT, no power, and the truck would not go faster than 25 mph with EGT at or over 1200! I stopped to make a cell phone call and left the engine run. When I drove off I had boost, normal EGT and power!! The local Dodge dealer could not find any bad codes, fuel pressure, waste gate sticking, or any turbocharger malfunction! After a hour of work they decided I had a bad case of "beats me" and sent me on my way. (No charge.) Here is a dealer I woudl go back to.

I am approaching having to throw parts at the truck until one of them fixes the problem. So far the Phoenix Dodge dealer replaced my fuel transfer pump to fix the problem (it did not). Two other Dodge dealers were unable to find anything wrong. Something is sticking, or failing to work, and then starting to work.

It only happens when starting towing. I never have had it happen when driving the truck alone. In preparation to towI turn on my DTT smart box and exhaust brake to warm up the engine. Tomorrow I will warm up the truck without the exhaust brake (Pac Brake) and will start out without the exhaust brake. May be that will help.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2006 | 11:41 PM
cwsoules
Default RE: Loss of Boost Pressure and Power Towing

Update today I started towing without the exhaust brake, and turned it on only at highway speeds. No problem today. I did lubricate moving parts that were accessable on the exhaust brake yesterday. The problem may be solved.

Old 03-27-2006 | 10:10 AM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: Loss of Boost Pressure and Power Towing

I would replace the rubber boots to the intercooler

Old 07-12-2009 | 06:53 PM
ryan2000ram
Smile i have same problem

going through same thing with my 2000 1 ton when towing 5th wheel trailer. i traced it to the turbo itself and in the process of rebuilding it. when towing large loads temps are higher and melt seals. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Loss of Boost Pressure and Power Towing